1Password in Firefox doesn't auto-save properly for my sites [Moved to email support]

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1P for Windows is very unreliable. Disappointed..

Comments

• sbturan
    sbturan
    Community Member

I have a similar usage history like "sruckus". My main browser is Firefox. Its 1Password extension is not helpfull at all. Yesterday, I had locked one of my login accounts to a website, because the extension did not remember the last generated password correctly. Somehow it remembers a different array. Because of that I have requested password renewal three times, and after that they blocked my account. These stupid things does not happen on Mac, only on Windows. Please consider.

• MikeT
    edited April 2015

Hi @sbturan,

I've split your post into its own thread, so we can focus on your issue directly as the other one was more about the security configuration of 1Password.

Somehow it remembers a different array.

Does this happen to all sites or just a few? When you generated the new password and fill it in, did 1Password prompt to update your Login?

Filling in a new password doesn't automatically update the Login, 1Password has to do it separately by auto-saving it as soon as you submit the new password into the site's forms. The main reason is to prevent 1Password from updating a Login when the site does not accept the new password.

• sbturan
    sbturan
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT,
    I cannot say whether it happens to all sites. But when I intend to use 1Password on my Windows computer, I have to copy the generated password, and then paste it to its right place. Sometimes this does not work, and I open up a text file, paste it in and then copy and paste again to finish the simple task I was doing.
    Also, on Windows, I cannot have the saved logins placed on the web page flawlessly, like on Mac. It does not help at all.
    Briefly, 1Password's Windows version is not like 1Password Mac.
    I am considering to remove it and get back to my previous password manager.

• Hi @sbturan,

Sometimes this does not work, and I open up a text file, paste it in and then copy and paste again to finish the simple task I was doing.

Is this an accurate picture of what happened:

1. You went to a site to change its password, you pressed the 1Password icon in Firefox to generate a new password, and then pressed Copy to copy the password to your clipboard.
    2. You then focused the site's password field, typed Control + V or right-clicked to select Paste and it didn't work, nothing filled in
    3. You switched to Notepad or whichever text editor you use, you typed Control + V again or right-click, it worked fine. (Please tell me if this is correct)
    4. You copied the password from the text editor, switch to the site in Firefox, focused the password field, pasted it in and it works

Is that accurate? That's unusual because we simply put the content into your system clipboard, so there should not be any difference between Firefox and the text editor your use. This does not sound like an issue with 1Password but something interfering with your clipboard because you still have the password in your clipboard when you were in Step 3, which means 1Password did in fact put it in your clipboard.

We would really like to try to reproduce this and see if we can work around it. We found a few issues with Firefox that reacted differently than what we expected after we reproduced the problem. The next 1Password application update will have some improvements that should improve the filling with Firefox.

Would it be possible to email us your diagnostic report, so we can try to match your settings as much as possible? If yes, please use this guide to generate a diagnostic report to email to us. In the email, include the link to this thread.

Let us know here that you've sent it, so we can look for it and confirm we got the email.

If possible, please include the possible sites that you've seen this happened on in the email, and we can try to reproduce the problem.

Also, on Windows, I cannot have the saved logins placed on the web page flawlessly, like on Mac.

The browser extension for Firefox is exactly the same on both Mac and Windows, there should not be any differences in the way it fills in. Can you share more details like which sites did it happen on? It would be helpful to know if you can reproduce it in other browsers like Opera or Chrome if you have them installed.

• sbturan
    sbturan
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT , thank you for your post.

A. > Is this an accurate picture of what happened:..
    No, it is not. Here is a reproduction of the problem I created a few minutes ago:
    1. I wanted to change the login password of a website, which is not recorded on 1Password database. Generated a password with the Firefox extension.
    2. Copied generated password to the clipboard.
    3. Pasted twice (a confirmation repetition, not a fault) at the password change page.
    4. Received "OK" message from the site, that my password have changed and I can log in with my new password.
    5. As a developed habit from 1Password experience, I paste the generated password to a text editor, as a precaution.
    6. At the login page, no activity from 1Password, I expect the password -not the username, because it does not know it yet- but no pulse. Anyway, I type in the username and requested the last generated password, 1Password types in a password, click "Enter", but password fault message appears.
    7. Close the page. Open a new browser window, go to the website, try to login by typing the username and requesting the password from 1Password, error again. Password is wrong.
    8. Repeat "7" without using 1Password, copy and paste the password from text editor, site accepts login, 1Password asks to record the new login and we are finally in!

B. I use Safari on Mac. It works perfect. That is the reason I decided to buy a Mac Windows bundle, but now I have these issues.

C. I will try to generate the report you requested and post it to your team.

After all as a paid customer; I think that, I should not bother to spare some of my quality time to solve such a software problem.

• Hi @sbturan,

1. Received "OK" message from the site, that my password have changed and I can log in with my new password.

At this point, 1Password should've prompt you to save your Login, it didn't, which is why you saw nothing when you try to visit the site. Even without a username, it should still save it as a Login with the URL and password alone. We'll look into this to see what's going on.

At the moment, all 1Password knows is that you generated a password and that's it.

1. As a developed habit from 1Password experience, I paste the generated password to a text editor, as a precaution.

We don't recommend that you do this in a text editor since it is in a unsecured location. Instead, we automatically save all of your passwords you generated in 1Password in the Generated Passwords category. You can access it any time in the main 1Password application and select Generated Passwords on the left sidebar. If you don't see it, please go to the View Menu > Generated Passwords to turn this on.

If you sort this by Modified date, you'd see all of the recent passwords on top. It'll have a location saved as well to show you where you generated it from.

1. At the login page, no activity from 1Password, I expect the password -not the username, because it does not know it yet- but no pulse.

This makes sense, it doesn't have anything for the site. There's no Login created for it. On Mac, we have a trick up our sleeve where if we see a password item for the site, we try to present this to users as an option to fill. This isn't yet possible on Windows. If you try to use Last Generated Password, this does not mean the last password created for the site but rather the last one you generated with 1Password in general.

I think based on what you're saying, it is possible the password generated has changed and you're filling in a completely different password, which is why it didn't work until you actually copy the original generated password from the text editor.

What I'd like you to try next time is to press and hold Control key when you select Last Generated Password, this will copy the password to your clipboard. Now, switch to your text editor and paste it in, does it match up with the original password you copied?

After all as a paid customer; I think that, I should not bother to spare some of my quality time to solve such a software problem.

We absolutely agree with you. At the same time, software are developed by humans as well. Developing a software that works perfectly the first time for every single situation is next to impossible, otherwise, there would not be any software updates released for the last 30 years. We do apologize this isn't working correctly for you and we will investigate to have this fixed in a future update.

• MikeT
    edited April 2015

Hi @sbturan,

I've found your report, thanks! I'm going to close this thread, so we can move to focus on your issue in the email.

Email Support ID #: BSG-94188-689

This discussion has been closed.