Pricing Question

Options
SpidrWeb
SpidrWeb
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I have spent the last hour or so looking through the forums and cannot find quite what I am looking for.
I recently decided my brain is not big enough to memorize all the passwords even though they are similar but different enough not to be guessed so I have been testing different applications to see which one suites me best.

What I am looking for is:
1 - Cloud Syncing WITHOUT dropbox
2 - Ease of use
3 - Features (separate logins from email addresses, wifi passwords, etc)
4 - "Good looking" UI

So far 1Password hits all those plus it is the only app that is "Apple Watch" ready. Which leads me to my question.

I understand there are the OS X and iOS versions both of which are purchased separately, no problem (even though a little pricey but I can live with that).
My main four questions after a lot of research are:
1 - After purchasing the $10 iOS App upgrade will there be any more fees to make it work with the watch?
2 - I saw that 1Password released a "brand new" version every year or so with many more features etc and offer it at a discounted price to existing customers, say I were to upgrade every single version as soon as it is released (which I ALWAYS do on EVERY app I own and use), how much would I have to spend for each new version?
3 - Is there the upgrade fee for OS X only or even iOS (so if I bought the iOS version and next year a newer version comes out, is the iOS automatically upgraded or do I have to pay again?)
4 - I have two Macs, one personal and one for work but both using the same iCloud and iTunes account, do I have to buy the license for each or is it once purchased I can download it and use it on the second Mac?

If these questions have already been answered I will be very happy to simply be directed in the right place to learn and get my answers, otherwise any and all information that can be provided is greatly helpful.

P.S - THANK YOU very much for allowing the trial before fully buying the product, it REALLY helps a lot!
-Travis

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

@SpidrWeb

1. As I understad it based upon posts by the staff the Watch portion is unlocked with the $10 in app purchase (IAP) of the Pro features on iOS. So there would be no additional costs involved. Its a way of making the IAP more attractive to folks as its an advanced feature and most people may not want to use it or even need it. A lot of people don't want or need additional vaults which is why its a part of the IAP. That allows people to try the basic feature and then decide if an IAP is worth the money for there individual situation.

2. No not true, 1Password has had a long run of free updates the span from version 3 to version 4 was circa 5 years if my memory serves me correctly. Version 4 was replaced with version 5 due to underlying changes in the OS. A lot of the code base changed etc so it was decided that a all new version was needed.
      All users whom purchased version 4 where upgraded to version 5 for free. They in fact use the same license file.
      If an upgrade is warranted, a notice is often given via social media and through the newsletter. I prefer the newsletter myself. https://agilebits.com/company/newsletter ~ Make sure to set your spam filter accordingly.

3. All upgrade charges are based upon the individual app. So yes they are different in OS X and iOS if any occur. The upgrade pricing is based upon some internal factors and decisions that I am not aware of. Its something the paid folks come up with and to be honest in my opinion. They are more than fair in upgrade pricing. https://agilebits.com/store/licenses

4. One license will cover you on as many Macs as you personally use and since they use the same iCloud account you can easily use it for syncing between the 2 Macs.

• One word of note. The trial doesn't allow iCloud syncing, when you are ready to purchase you must do so from the Mac App Store to gain access to iCloud syncing. Dropbox AND WiFi are available in all store versions both web and Mac App Store.
  • SpidrWeb
    SpidrWeb
    Community Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you VERY much for this. I will be purchasing both versions (OS X and iOS) over the weekend.
    I was aware about it being not possible to sync via iCloud in the beta's, I am currently using wifi for the "testing" but will be switching to iCloud once purchased.
    You clarified everything I was looking for, I cannot thank you enough for all your time and help. I am totally sold!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing in with such thoughtful questions, @SpidrWeb. I'm so glad @thightower was able to give you the information you needed to choose 1Password!

To get you started, here are links to the user guides for 1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS.

You may also find helpful info in our new searchable knowledgebase. And of course we're here to help you in the forums as well. Welcome to the 1Password community! :)

• SpidrWeb
    SpidrWeb
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for all the support, I really appreciate it! :-)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@SpidrWeb there's one more useful knowledge base link you might need as you've said you're using the trial version from the AgileBits store but you're going to move to the Mac App Store version:

Migrating to the Mac App Store version

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope this all helps @SpidrWeb,

There is one area I would like to address, one that is out of our control but that will apply to you given you want to use iCloud. When our 1Password 3 users (myself, Stephen_C and thightower included) moved from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 we had a decision to make. We could use our existing licence to get an upgrade price directly from AgileBits but if we went via Apple's Mac App Store (MAS) then we would have to pay full price. The reason is due to the limitations with MAS.

With our own store we can do as we please. We want to give an upgrade price? we do it. We want to offer a bundle price? we do it.

With the various stores we work with we don't have this same flexibility. For example, with MAS we have no way of offering a discount to a specific person for any reason. We also can't migrate our Agile Web Store (AWS) users to MAS either as again, the feature doesn't exist.

Now say in a future version we ask the users to pay again if they wish to upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if existing users on our site have the opportunity to get a discount but our MAS users, myself included won't. I knew this when I made the choice to purchase from MAS so if/when it happens I'm okay with that.

I don't think that's been covered yet but apologies to whoever did cover it if it is.

• SpidrWeb
    SpidrWeb
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thank you all for all the helpful answers and directions.
    @littlebobbytables Thank you for that very clear explanation of how it works. I totally understand how the app store works. I will say it like it is, I only want to use iCloud because I use it for other apps syncing also, plus I am one who cannot stand dropbox to the point that I would not use it if they paid me to use it. Personal reasons but never less my options remain within iCloud or wifi and iCloud is easier since there is a lot of network to network switching (home to work to other locations) now a days. If 1Passwords decides to also support copy.com, onedrive, box (anything more than dropbox) I would happy sync that way instead of iCloud, but for now my choices are limited.

I am still sold despite this news, but it is very helpful and at least I know it rather than it coming as a surprise down the line.

Thank you all again for all the helpful responses and links, I really appreciate it!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad we could help @SpidrWeb and obviously a big thanks to @thightower and @Stephen_C as people who dedicate a lot of their time here out of sheer passion.

If you have any more questions @SpidrWeb please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.