1Password Helper doesn't support unicode field values [Confirmed, will investigate to fix]

Options
yinping4256
yinping4256
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

U
Bug description:

Usually we can click the password part then the password is copied to the clipboard.
However, if it shows "????" as in the picture, when you click the "???", only "????" is copied, not real password.

When does this bug happen?

This only happens when you are:
1. Using Windows System, (Mac doesn't have this issue);
2. System locale is non-English for non Unicode program. The setting is in this picture.

Usually non-English native speakers will change this part to other language other than "English,United States".
For example, I use "Chinese, Simplified".
Then this bug comes. The password part in the extension becomes all "???????????????".

The bug has nothing to do with:
The OS language.
It is only related to what I said above.

I am using 1password Windows, which is English only.
This happens even when my Windows OS is in English, as long as the non-Unicode setting is not "English, United States".

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @yinping4256,

Thanks for the very useful bug report.

It looks like it is fine in the main application:

Main Application

Helper

So far, it does appear to be an issue in 1Password Helper only (front end of our browser extensions). I also tested the username:

So, it affects any unicode field values, not just the password. I've filed a bug report and we'll get this fixed.

In the meantime, please copy the password from the main application until we resolve this.

It also looks like Auto-Type doesn't work well, as it copies and paste the non-unicode version. I'll file a separate bug report to investigate this.

Thanks again for all of the useful details in your report!

Bug ID #: OPW-387 (Unicode field values issue in Helper)
    Bug ID #: OPW-388 (Auto-Type and unicode values)

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh by the way, I've removed your original screenshot as it had your username/email address in it. In the future, please use our demo vault or black out any sensitive information.

• yinping4256
    yinping4256
    Community Member
    Options

Problem:
    The key words of credit card information are missing:
    eg, cardholder name, card number ... etc

When does this happen:
    This happens when two conditions are both satisfied:

1. the "system display language" is NOT English, for example, Chinese (simplified).

AND
    3. when the "language for non-unicode program" is NOT English, for example, Chinese.

As I checked:
    Breaking** either** of the two conditions above results in no problem.

For example:
    If the "system display language" is Chinese, but the "language for non-unicode program" is English.
    Then the Helper looks like this:

If the "system display language" is English, but the "language for non-unicode program" is Chinese.
    Then it looks like this:

In a word, this problem only happens when both
    "system display language"
    and
    "language for non-unicode program"
    are Chinese.

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
    Extension Version: 4.3.1.90(for chrome)
    OS Version: windows
    Sync Type: dropbox

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @yinping4256,

I merged this bug report with the previous bug report you reported as they're similar issues.

Thanks for reporting this, we'll test this and see what we can do to fix it.

• yinping4256
    yinping4256
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, the previous problem has been fixed in the recent versions.
    This is a new problem.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @yinping4256,

I know, you don't have to create a separate thread when they're similar or related bugs.

• MikeT
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @yinping4256,

Does this look correct to you:

I looked at both the original and new data for credit cards and they look okay:

• yinping4256
    yinping4256
    Community Member
    Options

strange.
    Mine still looks incorrect.
    I am using Windows 8.1.

Not sure why it is different at my end.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @yinping4256,

When you changed both settings to Chinese, did you try rebooting your computer instead of logging out and in, did that change anything?

I tested with Windows 8.1 as well. I tried everything I can think of but can't break it like you did. Let me ask a few others to see if they can produce it.

This discussion has been closed.