upgraded to Yosemite. Upgraded to 1Password 5. 1 Password won't open

forestlinden2
forestlinden2
Community Member

Hi there,

I just upgraded OS X to Yosemite. 1 Password 4 wasn't compatible, so I upgraded to 1 Password 5. It was working for a few days, then stopped.

I'm not sure what happened, but I can't even open 1 Password 5. I tried downloading a fresh copy, unzipped the folder, and when I double click on the 1 Password 5.3 icon, I get the pinwheel of death for 2 minutes, then an error message that says that 1 Password can't connect to 1 Password Mini, and the only option is to quit.

Any ideas on what to do here to get 1 Password working again?

Thanks much,
Forest

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Please try this:

1. Drag the 1P app to the trash (don't use any app cleaner tool, which is likely to try to delete files you need to keep).
    2. Empty the trash and reboot.
    3. Re-download and re-install 1P.

That ought to solve the problem but if you do still get the error message please post again.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @forestlinden2,

Just to add a little to what Stephen_C has suggested. I would recommend checking all the usual spots and making sure you don't have copies of 1Password anywhere else either. There is an issue where multiple copies of 1Password will cause problems in Yosemite. The issue relates to sandboxing and the call we need to use to launch 1Password mini. Places to check include:

1. /Applications/
    2. ~/Downloads/
    3. ~/Desktop/

Just to let you know, 1Password 4 is compatible with Yosemite, I have it installed on my test machine for instances where I need to help users of our previous version. It doesn't like to play with 1Password 5 on the same system but it does work. 1Password 5 is a free update for all 1Password 4 users though and includes a number of bug fixes which are always good to have :smile:

Do keep us informed as to how you get on.

• forestlinden2
    forestlinden2
    Community Member

Thanks guys! That did the trick. Moved to trash, reinstalled, got an error message that there was an incorrect file path to 1Password mini. I looked at the file path and saw that there were other copies of 1 Password in my downlnoads folder. Got rid of them and booyah! Back in business.

Thanks heaps!

Forest

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

That's great news, @forestlinden2! I'm glad that @Stephen_C and @littlebobbytables were able to help you get 1Password working again, and we hope you're enjoying the latest update. :) Come on back if anything else comes up; we're here for you.

• rod75
    rod75
    Community Member

I have experienced multiple problems with the upgrade from v4 to v5 including blocked access, and incorrect loaded versions. I have read comments and forums followed the examples remove all old versions and rebooted and re-download several times and I am still getting the problem = wrong version. Really the worst upgrade I have experienced and now beginning to loose faith in the ability of 1password keeping my private information safe and reliable. Why can't I get hold of a copy that actually works? This problem has been around for some time and instruction to remove reboot and re install end up with the same problem?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@rod75 on the basis of your screen shot, at least, I suspect your problems will end once you remove the copy of 1P from your downloads folder. Do that simply by dragging the app file to the Trash—don't use any app cleaner tool.

Stephen

• rod75
    rod75
    Community Member

Thanks Stephen_C, this worked. I am however surprised as in 35 years of computer experience I have never had to delete the program I've just downloaded (i.e. first copy) before the program would work properly. The habit of keeping the program you just downloaded is so you don't have to re-download it. Maybe Agilebits might look into this?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

This is not a 1P problem: it is a problem with OS X Yosemite and in particular with the launcher program—which has a tendency to wander off and launch the wrong thing on boot: see this AgileBits post (among many others on the same subject on this forum).

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rod75,

Here is the overview of what is happening.

Inside the main 1Password application bundle we have a helper app called 1Password mini. 1Password mini is designed to run in the background and in this particular case the term helper is a bit of a misnomer as everything has to go through 1Password mini. If you use the 1Password Browser Extension 1Password mini must be running, for the main application to work 1Password mini must be running - you get the idea :smile: Due to sandboxing the helper app needs to be stored in a particular location inside the application bundle and launched using a very specific system call. This call registers the helper app with OS X's launchctl but here's the kicker, it is impossible to say where the helper app is, all we can do is supply the ID. That ID though is the same in every copy of 1Password. So when you boot up your machine OS X knows to launch a copy of 1Password mini and off it goes looking. By default it doesn't check /Applications first and if the wrong copy of 1Password mini launches it can cause problems.

I spent a week researching this and bugging the developers, asking what probably seemed like endless questions I'm sure to eventually realise that as long as we use a helper app that has to work in a sandboxed environment, multiple copies of 1Password will mess things up. We hope to improve the error message but for the moment, that's all we can do due to limitations in the frameworks.

Our page, How to remove multiple, conflicting copies of 1Password from your system has a bit more information on this and what to look out for.

If you have any follow up questions please don't hesitate to ask.

• rod75
    rod75
    Community Member

Thanks to both you for the explanations, maybe the instruction to remove the just downloaded copy after installation should be added to the fix instructions and how to install sections. Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rod75,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm glad that Stephen and littlebobbytables were able to explain things to you. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @rod75,

You can always keep the downloaded version zipped to avoid needing to re-download, just don't have an extra unzipped version.

@littlebobbytables, thanks for the detailed explanation. Can you (or the developers) say more about why the wrong version can cause problems? I suspect that I have other programs where the wrong version is sometimes launched, but they just don't happen to have problems with that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @danco,

My understanding of the situation hasn't expanded yet to why it's an issue but I will make a point of enquiring for both you and I. It is something I should probably know :smile: What this space.

This discussion has been closed.