Feature Request: Credit Card Expiration Alert

Options
Phil3
Phil3
Community Member

This feature request is two-fold...

1 I would like to see some sort of alert that lets me know when a credit card I have entered into 1Password has expired or is soon to expire.

Generally, I just update the information in 1Password when I receive a new card. However, an alert would be a nice reminder that the information needs to be updated in 1Password.

2 I have some accounts that are automatically charged to my credit card(s). At present, I have a Secure Note with a list of all of these accounts and which card they are charged to. That works fine, but it would be helpful to have some way of being notified of which accounts/businesses I need to contact with updated card information. Such a feature might work well with suggestion #1 above. Some of these businesses require a phone call as they may not have a self-serve web form. (There may not be a related 1Password Login item)

While on the subject of expirations... I have encountered an issue where a credit card didn't work for an online purchase during the card expiration month/year. The card with an expiration of April 2015 (for example) was good until that month (April 01) rather than good through that month (April 30). I can't recall which card and site were involved.
I don't recall if:
a) it was a site that failed to accept a card that was valid through the end of that month
or
b) a card that actually became invalid at the beginning of the expiry month.
I think it was the former. However, if you know of any cards that expire at the beginning of the expiry month, a data field for "Good until..." or "Good though..." may be needed for the Credit Card category in 1Password.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As to your second numbered point I'd use tags.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Phil3,

Thanks for taking the time to send us your requests! Although I can't promise anything, I can pass your suggestions along to our developers.

As for #2, Stephen's suggestion for using tags is a great idea if you have items that correspond with websites or businesses where you use a credit card. If you don't have items for those sites/companies, you can always create items for them (using whichever item type works best, or possibly Secure Notes). Alternately, you can make a list within the notes section of that Credit Card item - that way, when you update the Credit Card item in 1Password, you'll also see the list, which I imagine should remind you about updating your info.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

• jace88
    jace88
    Community Member
    Options

I really like #1 because the other field which is relevant is account anniversary (aka day of annual fee) and it'd be great to know in advance when this is coming up so I can cancel cards which I don't feel like paying $400+ for!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jace88, thanks for your feedback! I'll be happy to add that to the open feature request.

$400 sounds like a lot for an annual credit card fee, I wouldn't want to pay that either! ;)

ref: OPM-1645

• charlesml3
    charlesml3
    Community Member
    Options

This functionality should be extended to any item in the inventory that has an "Expires on" date. Like...a passport. As I discovered at 7:00am this morning at the airport when I was trying to fly to Mexico. Yea. Fun day. I was back in the car driving home by 7:30 wondering why I'm such an idiot.

So there are two ways you could implement this. A global warning when any item in the inventory expires. I'd take that right away. Ideally, for each item in the inventory that has an "Expires on" date we could opt to have it notify. That way the user could control which things notify and which can be ignored.

Please, please implement this feature. It would have saved me nearly $700 this morning in non-refundable deposits and other fees I'll never get back.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This functionality should be extended to any item in the inventory that has an "Expires on" date. Like...a passport. As I discovered at 7:00am this morning at the airport when I was trying to fly to Mexico. Yea. Fun day. I was back in the car driving home by 7:30 wondering why I'm such an idiot.

@charlesml3: :(

Thanks for providing this very real example. I'm sorry that you didn't realize that it was expired until it was too late...

We will see if expiration reminders are something we can add to 1Password in the future.

On a more humorous note, I was at the DMV the other day and found that my driver license expiration was July...of last year! Fortunately I'd simply entered this incorrectly into 1Password (the real expiration is 2016). So in this case even 1Password couldn't save me from my own stupidity! :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.