Feature request: Add a 'change' option for password fields in popup menu

Options
marsbeetle
marsbeetle
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Hi,

I have a lot of systems listed in my 1Password database which I often have to change passwords for due to various policies.

It would be a lot nicer if I didn't have to edit each system to just change the password each time and a lot slicker if there was simply a 'change' option in the popup menu. Upon clicking the menu change option a dialog box for the password and a confirmation field would be useful to avoid any mistakes when editing.

Thanks.

Regards,
Nelis

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marsbeetle,

Thanks for your suggestion! I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what you mean, though. Right now, you can click the Edit button and make changes to the fields in the item, including the password field. Is your suggestion to basically have an option that would allow only the password field to be edited, rather than all the fields? Have you had any trouble editing the password field by using the usual Edit option?

Also, if you are changing your passwords for website logins, your Login items can usually be updated automatically when you change the password on the website, as described here: How to change a password for a site saved in 1Password

If I misunderstood your request, please let us know. Thanks!

• marsbeetle
    marsbeetle
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

"Is your suggestion to basically have an option that would allow only the password field to be edited, rather than all the fields?"

That is correct, with the addition of a confirmation password field to verify the password for non website logins(to ensure the entry is correct). My entries on servers sometimes contain a lot of information other than the login / password fields so not having to edit the entire entry just to change the password would be a better way to implement it in my opinion. It just seems like a relatively trivial thing to implement which is why I thought it would be worth mentioning and I thought it made sense to do it like this since that is what 1Password is all about, storing passwords in a simple manner and allowing a person to change it in an equally simple manner.

I haven't had any trouble using the usual Edit option, I just felt that it could be improved as above.

Thanks,
    Nelis

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marsbeetle,

Thanks for clarifying! I can't make any promises of course, but I can let our developers know you're interested in a feature like that. If it's something they think would be helpful for a lot of users, I'm sure they'll consider it.

If you need anything else, just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.