[Feature Request] Open saved logins in selected browser

Options
Sensel
Sensel
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

How do I turn off the feature that when you pick a log in from 1P, it jumps to Safari? I need 1P to jump to the browser that is active or, no jumping! Want off!

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Can't be done at present. But you can go to the relevant site in your browser and then use Command-\ to fill in.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hello @Sensel,

How do I turn off the feature that when you pick a log in from 1P, it jumps to Safari? I need 1P to jump to the browser that is active

Just so I understand correctly, does your question refer to what happens when you select a login within the main 1Password app, or from 1Password Mini in the menu bar?

The main 1Password app's Go & Fill behavior currently can only open selected logins in the default browser, but we do have an existing Feature Request to add this functionality, and I have added your vote.

Meanwhile, if you have the 1Password extension installed in each browser you use, you can use the extension button to use the desired login within the active browser. Using 1Password Mini from the menu bar should do that as well.

or, no jumping! Want off!

1Password will only open a browser when you double-click an item in the main app or single-click an item in the Mini. What steps are you taking when it is opening a browser unexpectedly? Are you trying to select an item to view or edit it, but it's opening a browser instead?

If you'd like to view an item's details in the main app, you'll need to single-click on it rather than double-click. Then, to edit it, click the "Edit" button in the bottom right corner of the item details pane.

In the Mini, simply hover over an item (without clicking) to see its details.

I hope this helps clarify some of the features of 1Password. If I haven't properly addressed your question, please give some more info and I'll be happy to give more specific directions. Thank you!

ref: FR-2, OPM-2808

• Sensel
    Sensel
    Community Member
    Options

Your application designers and engineers need to ask: Why did you just have to write a small white paper to answer a simple question? THAT is my ultimate complaint: 1P needs to be simpler, automatic, intuitive. Not a metaphorical wall full of switches that “depend” on various factors.
    Maybe there needs to be a 1P “pro” for the nerds and just 1P, simple, for the rest of us.
    The app is suddenly drowning in feature bloat.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sensel,

Thanks for your feedback! We're always listening to what our users would like and looking into ways to improve our user experience.

Why did you just have to write a small white paper to answer a simple question?

To be fair, Vee's answer to your question was even shorter than your original message: "The main 1Password app's "Go & Fill" behavior currently can only open selected logins in the default browser".

So, the actual answer was just a small part of her response. In addition to that, she explained that we have an open feature request to choose the browser for each Login item, said she would add your vote, and asked for clarification in case she misunderstood you. She also gave some additional information and suggestions she thought might be helpful. Now, she could have just given you a very simple/short answer and stopped there, but I think it's great she went beyond that to try to give you some extra help/info. However, I apologize if that's not the kind of response you were looking for!

1P needs to be simpler, automatic, intuitive. Not a metaphorical wall full of switches that “depend” on various factors.
    Maybe there needs to be a 1P “pro” for the nerds and just 1P, simple, for the rest of us.

I'm sorry you feel like it's too complicated! We try to make 1Password very user-friendly, while also having options that exist for "power users" (but you can use just the basics if you want to). If you feel a feature is too complicated, please give us some more details about which feature you're having trouble with. I'm sure we can make improvements that will help! :)

The app is suddenly drowning in feature bloat.

And yet, the ability to choose the browser for each Login would be another feature. Our developers try to avoid adding extra settings unless necessary, because they want to avoid a "feature bloat", and keep things relatively simple for users. If you feel there are features currently in 1Password that cause unnecessary confusion and aren't beneficial, please feel free to let us know - we welcome your feedback!

If you're having trouble with anything else or have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here for you! :)

• Sensel
    Sensel
    Community Member
    Options

Wow

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can't tell if that's a "good wow" or a "bad wow". ;) If I had to guess, I'd say you weren't expecting such a long response! Sorry about that, I only wanted to clarify Vee's answer for you and let you know that we're very happy to send your feedback to our developers. Vee has already let them know you'd like to be able to choose which browser a Login item launches. If you have more specific feedback about any feature or how you think we can improve 1Password to make it more user-friendly, we're all ears! (Or rather, all eyes.)

Thanks again! :)

This discussion has been closed.