copied password out of 1password fails to log into dropbox

Options
ddokoto
ddokoto
Community Member

I can't login into dropbox.com from the mac. It says: " Invalid email address or password. " That's as far as I have tried in the past. Today I tried a few other things to triage the situation.
Automatically filling it the password (with 1password) on mac fails.
copying the SAME password fails on mac/yosemite.
copying the SAME password out of 1password (via dropbox) on windows 8 succeeds.
manually entering the SAME password on mac succeeds.
I've been using 1password for 4 years. I have never encountered a website where manually entering the password got a different result from copying the password from 1password. I don't have a clue at present why Dropbox is different. The major issue with 1password has been that it doesn't always recognize the password field (therefore doesn't prefill it in) and you have to copy/paste the password out of 1password into the field. Some html pages are just too complicated or don't annotate the password field in the conventional way. This is not an issue with dropbox.com as 1password instantly recognizes the right password field and inserts the password value there.
For some reason, 1password thinks the password is different. I compared the manually entered password with the stored password and all 8 visible letters are exactly the same. So I saved another 1password entry with the manually entered password. Compared the two passwords in the two 1password entries and they are exactly the same.
But when I login to dropbox using 1password with the (new) 2nd entry, it succeeds. I have no idea what's going on. The password looks the same in all cases, even compared zero and the letter 'O', the only ambiguous character. The password had been automatically generated by 1password in the beginning.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ddokoto,

That's definitely a strange problem. Copying & pasting your password should work the same way as manually typing it, as long as you're typing the same thing. If your password contains any accented characters, that might have something to do with it because those types of characters can be passed to different apps in different ways by the input system (so even though they might look identical, they might work differently internally). However, from your description, it doesn't sound like that's the problem.

Although I'm not sure why the older Login item stopped working, when something like that happens, we usually suggest saving a new Login item to see if it helps, and it sounds like it did. Does the new Login item also work on Windows? If the new Login item is working on both Mac and Windows, you should continue to use that one (feel free to delete the older one if you want).

• ddokoto
    ddokoto
    Community Member
    Options

OK, That's what I did - saved the new login. When I copied the password from 1password.html and pasted it into dashlane to save it there, the cursor was 3 blank spaces past the last visible character in the dashlane password text field which sustains the non-visible character theory, maybe because the EOLine character is different between windows and the mac. That's also consistent with hand typing the characters. And no, there are no accented characters. 1password generated a nice "pronounceable" complex password.

Now what I saved on Dashlane in windows and what was created in 1password for mac work today. They may be visibly identical, but apparently may not be. I use Dashlane only because its a work pc with limited ability to customize it.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ddokoto,

It sounds like you discovered the source of the problem (i.e. the 3 invisible characters / spaces)! :) That certainly seems to explain the problem.

Are you unable to install 1Password on your work PC? If you can install it and would like to try it out, you can download a free trial version from our download site.

I'm glad to hear it's working on both Mac and Windows now! If you need anything else, please let us know, we're always happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.