Three fields

Options
Plato
Plato
Community Member

I'm sure that there have been discussions on this but I didn't pay attention because I didn't have the issue. In any event, how can I make 1P handle this situation? I don't object if it's necessary to invoke 1P twice.

Comments

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

Is this an unsolvable problem?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Plato,

The best thing to do when you encounter a unique website that asks for more than just the standard username and password is to Save a New Login Manually. This process allows 1Password to learn all the fields that it needs to fill. Depending on how the website is coded, 1Password should be able to fill this type of form.

If you're still having difficulty after saving a Login manually, please let us know the URL of the site so we can do some testing here.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan

I've gotten into the habit of always saving new logins manually. Unfortunately, it doesn't help in this case. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but I can't find any place to store the Account Number. I tried Section > Label > New Field but the entry is ignored. Only the Username and Password are entered when I hit CMD-backslash.

Here is the site:
    https://portal.rescuegroups.org/login#atbh

The account number is a 4-digit numeric.
    The username is a 10-digit text (all lower case).
    The password is a 6-digit text (all caps)

• Lamplighter
    Lamplighter
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

@Plato: said " Only the Username and Password are entered when I hit CMD-backslash. "

Maybe if you Save the new login - instead of using the CMD-backslash.
    When I tried this, it did save the Account Number in a field named "FormAccountNumber"
    (Obviously, the Account Number I used would not work, but the Number was saved, and then would be entered into the field properly)

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@Lamplighter

OK, I'm definitely doing something wrong and I gotta blame semantics. First, I use CMD-backslash to access the info, not create it. My problem was that there was no way that I could manually create the login with a functioning account number. I honestly have no clue what you meant by emphasizing "Save."

In any event, I reconfigured 1P for "Automatically ask..." and put my old info in the trash can. (I had previously had that box unchecked.) Having been burned with other issues, I played it safe and powered down my Mac and powered it up again. No good. My hunch was that 1P still recognized the old info even though it was in the trash. I wrote down the information and then emptied the trash. Powered down and back up again. Then, I went to the web site and everything worked perfectly. 1P asked if I wanted to save and I did.

I don't know for sure if I did what you meant but it doesn't matter. You forced me to investigate more thoroughly and the login now works properly. Thanks much.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @Plato,

I'm glad that Lamplighter was able to help you out here!

My problem was that there was no way that I could manually create the login with a functioning account number.

That's why I suggested manually saving the Login. I think there may have been some confusion there - and I do apologize! If you click on the Save a New Login Manually link there, you'll be taken to an article in our Knowledgebase that explains how to get 1Password to save your details while you are on a login page. Prompting 1Password to save your details here will ensure that all three fields are saved. You're right, it isn't possible to add fields when creating a Login by typing the information into 1Password - is this what you meant by saving all your Logins manually?

We generally recommend that you let the browser extension do the saving, and use those Save a New Login Manually steps when 1Password doesn't prompt you to save your details.

I hope this helps to explain things, but if you have further questions we're here for you!

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan

This was a MAJOR semantics issue. First, my use of the term "manual save" is to open 1P. Then I'd go to File > New Item > Login and manually enter all information. To me, your recommendation is more of a "semi-manual" method and, when I first tried it, the old login (without the account number) was still in the trash can so the "Save a new login" option never appeared.

In any event, without pursuing this very far, I emptied the trash can, opted for "Automatically ask..." and powered the Mac down and back up again. That worked for me and, afterwards I tested your "semi-manual" save on a different web site and the "Save" option did appear.

Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Plato,

Again, I'm sorry about the misunderstanding.

when I first tried it, the old login (without the account number) was still in the trash can so the "Save a new login" option never appeared.

Please note that in the instructions for saving a new Login using the browser, we're not waiting for 1Password to pop up and prompt you to save, we're opening 1Password mini and selecting the 'Save new Login' item from the menu.

The reason I'm being particular here is that these steps will end up saving you a lot of troubleshooting time when you encounter other difficult Logins. It's always the first thing that we suggest when looking into a filling issue. Keeping these steps memorized (or simply the knowledgebase article saved somewhere) could come in handy. :)

In any case, I'm glad you're all sorted out. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

@Megan

"Please note that in the instructions for saving a new Login using the browser, we're not waiting for 1Password to pop up and prompt you to save, we're opening 1Password mini and selecting the 'Save new Login' item from the menu."

You missed my point. When the old login was still in 1P, the "Save new Login" item did not appear. Even after moving the old login to the trash, that item still did not appear. However, after emptying the trash, it did appear.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Plato,

I think there's some more confusion over which option/prompt is being discussed here. The "Save new Login" item that Megan referred to is not the prompt that automatically appears to ask if you want to save a Login. Instead, it is a menu option in 1Password mini / browser extension, as shown in this screenshot:

That menu item should be available in 1Password mini regardless of whether you already have a Login item for the site, if it's in the Trash, or if it doesn't exist at all. It will be there even if the current web site doesn't have a login form at all. The only time that option would not be shown in 1Password mini is if you're currently in another (non-browser) app when you open 1Password mini.

If that's the menu item you were looking for, is it possible you didn't have your web browser in focus when trying to find that option?

I'm very sorry for the confusion about all this. If you haven't already done so, please take a look at the steps in this knowledgebase article, and that should help clear things up. As always, if you have more questions, just let us know! :)

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

@Drew_AG

You're absolutely correct. However, as I've already stated twice, that option does not appear if a login already exists for that specific URL. See below. It doesn't matter if the login is active or in the trash. After putting that login in the trash AND emptying the trash, it finally appeared.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Plato,

In 1Password mini, you need to click on the "gear" icon (on the right side of the Search field) to see the sub-menu with the "Save new Login" option. In your screenshot, that sub-menu (i.e. 1Password mini preferences) isn't open. Can you please try that and let us know if you see "Save new Login" there? With that preferences sub-menu open, it should look just like my previous screenshot.

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

Yes, it's there. Does that mean that I have to start reading directions? I haven't done that for over seventy years!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:lol: @Plato, glad to hear it's there! And sorry for all the confusion about that, I should have been more specific in my description of where to find that option.

As for reading directions, you've made it this long without needing to do that, why start now? ;)

• Plato
    Plato
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

"As for reading directions, you've made it this long without needing to do that, why start now? ;)"

Whew!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

This discussion has been closed.