Do I really need to re-buy 1password from the Apple Store?

Options
1passuser99
1passuser99
Community Member

I bought 1 Password from your site and now I want to use iCloud... Do I need to re-buy it from the AppStore?
Is there anyway not to spend money twice? Consider you promised that my license will never expire...
And the lack of direct email support on your site is definitely adding to my frustration here.

Tal

• I’m using 1Password version #:5
  • On a (Mac/PC/iOS/Android): OS X 10.10
  • Syncing with other devices (list them): iPad iphone

(Please provide as much detail as possible, but remember—this is a public forum. Please don’t share personal information like email addresses or passwords.)

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you bought 1P from the AgileBits store within the past 30 days you can request a refund to enable you to buy it from the Mac App Store. If that applies (i.e., if your purchase was within the past 30 days) let us know and someone will tell you how to request the refund.

Consider you promised that my license will never expire...

It won't—and that doesn't really have anything at all to do with the place you bought 1P. :) The version you have supports sync of 1P data by either Dropbox or local wifi. I use the latter and it works perfectly. Of course, if you must, for any reason, use iCloud sync then, as you say, you have to have the Mac App Store version. However, the licence for the version you have still isn't going to expire.

Stephen

• 1passuser99
    1passuser99
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the answer. So just to clarify: if I want to use 1password with iCloud and I bought it on the website in October of 2013 as a Mac windows bundle... I will need to repurchase it?

• 1passuser99
    1passuser99
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe you can have a free version on the app store with in app purchase, that way I can utilize my existing purchase...

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

So just to clarify: if I want to use 1password with iCloud and I bought it on the website in October of 2013 as a Mac windows bundle... I will need to repurchase it?

If you must use iCloud to sync your 1P data, yes, I'm afraid so.

Maybe you can have a free version on the app store with in app purchase, that way I can utilize my existing purchase...

I'm simply a volunteer here and that is a marketing decision for AgileBits—which, however, I can't really see them taking. :)

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1passuser99,

As you know, iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac. That's because it uses Apple's new CloudKit technology, which can only be used by apps sold through the Mac App Store. We'd absolutely love to be able to include that in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible. We have more information about that in these knowledgebase articles:

Unfortunately Apple doesn't currently provide a way to convert a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. So if you wanted the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you would need to purchase that separately. If you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store, you'll need to use Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync.

I'm very sorry for the confusion about that! If you have more questions about your sync options or need anything, please let us know, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.