Community Member

I appear to have both 1Password and 1Password 5 on my iMac

Which one should I be using?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is from the Mac App Store and 1Password 5 is from the AgileBits store. If you need to use iCloud to sync your 1P data you will need to keep the 1Password version (i.e., the Mac App Store version)—because the the AgileBits store version doesn't support iCloud sync.

However, the first thing is to discover which version has a complete set of your data.

1. Launch the 1Password application by double-clicking on that name in your Applications folder. Does it contain all your saved items? If so, you've saved them into the Mac App Store version. Now press control + cmd + Q to quit 1Password and close 1P Mini at the same time.
    2. Now go back to your Applications folder and launch the 1Password 5 application. Does it contain any items you saved and which are not in the 1Password version? (You're looking at the AgileBits store version now.) Again press control + cmd + Q to quit that version of 1Password and close 1P Mini at the same time.
    3. You should now know which version contains your information—and thus which version you wish to keep. You will also have made sure you don't have 1P Mini left running from either version. (It's not good to have two versions of 1P Mini running at the same time.) Now re-launch whichever version contains all your saved information, go to 1P5 > Preferences > General and make sure you have a tick in the check box beside Always keep 1Password mini running.

You should now know which version you want to run (i.e., the one with your saved information) and be able to run that version without interference from the other one.

Once that's done we can go ahead with anything else necessary (like getting rid of the other version).

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zedman,

Looks like Stephen gave some really great information & steps! :) Did that help? If the version you want to continue using isn't the one with all your latest data, please let us know and we can help get everything up to date.

• zedman
    zedman
    Community Member
    Options

I have 600 entries in 1P5 and 602 in 1P

So it looks as if they are almost identical.

What now?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zedman,

It sounds like the Mac App Store version (i.e. 1Password.app) has a little more information than the AgileBits Store version, so I'll assume you want to keep the Mac App Store version. If so, simply drag the AgileBits Store version (i.e. 1Password 5.app) to the Trash on your Mac, then empty the Trash. Please make sure you do not use any app cleaning utilities to do that, as they might try to delete your data instead of just the app.

That should be all you need to do. Please let us know how it goes and if you run into any problems or have questions - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.