Cannot save Login on www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk [reported but no current workaround]

ohcomeon
ohcomeon
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

I want to save details on a UK Government web form for my driving licence, but 1Password does not recognise the form. If I enter details manually into the 1Password app on Windows it still will not auto populate the form.

The URL in question is https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number?

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

1Password doesn't fill licenses. I only does Logins, Identities and Credit Cards.

If you are using a login then you have a different problem. That form has no password fields and 1Password will only fill forms with passwords.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ohcomeon ,

Please let me know if you have any questions after Richard's response. He's correct - only the Logins, Identities and Credit Card items have the magical filling properties.

• ohcomeon
    ohcomeon
    Community Member

Thanks @RichardPayne
    Not really what I was hoping for, but it makes sense.
    Cheers

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@Megan what is the reason for requiring a password field? I would imagine that this restriction impacts on filling banks with multi-page logins too.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I think there may be a bit of confusion here @RichardPayne, unless there is a difference in the platforms. I have Login items with no passwords that fill without issue on the Mac. I suspect Megan was more just agreeing with your statement "It only does Logins, Identities and Credit Cards."

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Ah ok, I was sure I'd read that a password field was required.

If not then we need @ohcomeon to confirm whether they are using a Driving License item or a Login item.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

I think I see the confusion now. @ohcomeon wants to save a Login item that stores the filled forms for that page but 1Password isn't recognising the filled in fields. The problem is a basic item created from within 1Password won't work as we need the web form details but How to manually save a Login doesn't bring up the 1Password Save Login window, presumably because for whatever reason 1Password doesn't 'see' the fields.

@ohcomeon, if I'm correct with this assessment then it isn't great news at the moment. I've tried everything I could think of. I've test the stables and betas, I've checked Mac & Windows - all no good. I even manually created a Login item based on the name & IDs of the fields but it wouldn't fill. Support here will have to come from an improvement in our code it seems. It seems for now you're limited to copy and paste. Sorry about that.

Now if I've misunderstood anything please do let us know.

ref: OPX-979

• ohcomeon
    ohcomeon
    Community Member

Thanks @littlebobbytables and @RichardPayne

I also tried to manually create a a login item based on the required information to no avail (although I only tried on stables).

Perhaps now you are aware of this page @littlebobbytables you can have the developers look to improve the code in future releases.

From June in UK the way driving licences work will change and we will be required to go to this page to look up the details of our licences that are not displayed on the photocard. The Government say we will also need to access this page to create one-time passwords for car rental companies to access our driving licence details. I presume there will therefore be an increased demand on that particular Government site in the near future. I was trying to get ahead of the game by attempting to set up 1Password to recognise the form.

In the meantime I will just save the required information in secure notes so it is quickly available when I am out and about.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Just to say I have created a bug report @ohcomeon. I know from my own experiences that this sort of page can be saved so it's something specific in how they designed it. Hopefully it won't be too bad and thank you for reporting it :smile:

• nbevan
    nbevan
    Community Member

1Password does not prompt to remember the fields in https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number?

Can I set this up manually?

[Using Safari]

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I'm not sure you can. I've just tried (I'm also in the UK) and it appears that, for some reason, 1P doesn't treat that page as a login page. (I don't get any prompt to save the details, using 1P 5.4.BETA-9 in Firefox 37.0.2 with the 1P 4.4.0.b5 extension.)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

Hi @nbevan,

1Password will not prompt you to save a form if it doesn't detect a password value. But you can still request that 1Password save these details for you. (Now I haven't been able to test this, since I don't live in the UK and the site is very particular about correct data being entered, but this should work, if the site isn't doing anything too fancy.) Try this:

• Fill in all your details on the page, but do not click the 'View Now' button
    • Click on 1Password mini (or use ⌘⌥\ ( Command-Option- \ ) to call it up)
    • Click on the gear icon (or use ⌘, )
    • Click on 'Save new Login' (or use ⌘N )
    • Give the item a unique title and save.

Does this fill correctly?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Megan, I've just tried what you suggested (although I think your keystroke shortcut for invoking 1P mini should have been ⌥⌘\). However, when I click on Save new Login nothing at all happens (1P mini simply closes and no new login is saved).

I'm using 1P5.4.BETA-9 with Firefox 37.0.2 and the 1P 4.4.0.b5 extension in Firefox.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nbevan,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved this discussion to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum where you'll be able to get more help for this problem.

Can you please confirm if trying the Save new Login option in 1Password mini worked for you? Like Stephen, it didn't work for me on that site, but we'd like to make sure if you had the same problem. Thanks in advance!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

Hi @nbevan,

(I've edited my steps above to include the correct keyboard shortcut - my apologies for any confusion!)

Now, I've been conspiring with Stephen, and it looks like you might not be able to get the steps I posted above to work. If they do work, please let us know, but it looks like the page might be doing something interesting and refreshing after each field is entered.

• nbevan
    nbevan
    Community Member

@Megan, Unfortunately this does not work for me either. In fact I had already tried this, which is why I hoped there might be another approach.
    For testing purposes YK251520C works as a National Insurance number (although the site uses cookies to try to prevent more than a couple of failed attempts).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nbevan,

We've actually had this one reported already so I've merged your posts with the thread. I spend a bit of time in this particular forum and recognised the URL.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to find a working solution but I did report the issue. Here's my last post from before.

Just to say I have created a bug report ohcomeon. I know from my own experiences that this sort of page can be saved so it's something specific in how they designed it. Hopefully it won't be too bad and thank you for reporting it :smile:

It's the sort of thing I think we should be able to save if you use a manual save approach but there is something specific with this page that we're stumbling over.

ref: OPX-979

• nbevan
    nbevan
    Community Member

Thanks @littlebobbytables
    Glad to confirm @ohcomeon 's prediction of demand for this page, and I look forward to future news.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ohcomeon & @nbevan,

I think this post may be of interest to you. My 1Password-fu has been improving and while it isn't a solution I think it may be a reasonable workaround to get it up and running for you. Please do let me know how you find the suggestion :smile:

This discussion has been closed.