in ios safari 1pw won't stay unlocked long enough to be useful

Options
DoctorDan
DoctorDan
Community Member

in ios safari I am prompted for the password every time I try to use it, like once to login and the a second time to fill card info (on the same web page). very annoying since my mp is 20 characters. This should stay unlocked according to my prefs which are 30 minutes.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @DoctorDan,

It is possible to use either Touch ID (if you have a capable device) or a PIN (if you don't) to unlock instead of having to type the Master Password all the time:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/touch-id

You will, however, be prompted for it each time you access the extension. This is intentional. We are evaluating that behavior though, to see if we've struck the right balance of security and convenience (something you constantly struggle with when designing an app such as ours).

Thanks!

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Two things:
    1-touch id is no help on my ipad 3 and ipad 4, which I mostly use, and rarely away from my home.
    2-since we can (or should be able to) define our own timeout interval, why not trust us to choose our own level of protection rather than forcing us into to most restrictive, inconvenient mode?

There should be an option to lock after each use or after a specified interval, probably up to 4 hours.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could even use location services to save a "home" location and then switch to a more restrictive policy when the device is away from home :)

• Ben
    Options

1-touch id is no help on my ipad 3 and ipad 4, which I mostly use, and rarely away from my home.

Sure; but a PIN code can still be set up. :)

2-since we can (or should be able to) define our own timeout interval, why not trust us to choose our own level of protection rather than forcing us into to most restrictive, inconvenient mode?

We are evaluating that behavior ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

• Jesse the K
    Jesse the K
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to DoctorDan's request. Having to type the complete, secure MP every time is nudging me to revise my MP to something shorter, which isn't behavior you want to be encouraging either. The minimum useful mode for me would be
    1. Within time in prefs
    2. In same browser
    3. Without having switched to another app or screen dim
    thanks for listening!

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

Fully support the suggestion of longer timeout options, preferably user-definable but if not then at least 4 hours. I appreciate that you are looking for a balance but you should allow users to make a judgement, knowing their own situation.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks folks. Our developers are indeed looking into this and have made some changes in this direction in the latest beta.

This discussion has been closed.