How to check login folder assignments?

Options
fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member

I've been doing some 1Password housekeeping the last few days and I finally got around to a task I have been putting off. I have set up folders and put many or most, but probably not all, of my logins into their correct folder. Today I realized I don't know how to check each login to see if I have assigned it to a folder.

Ideally, I'd like to poke a button in 1Password and immediately have each login's assigned folder pop up next to its name in the center column of my 1Password window. Then the unassigned logins would stick out like a sore thumb. If such a button exists I can't find it.

Another possibility would be to sort my center column by folder. Then the unassigned logins would all fall out at the top or the bottom of the sorted listing. However, I can't find Folder in the sort choices.

I bet some wise user or staffer knows how to do what I am trying to accomplish - can anyone help me?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fourwheelcycle,

There not currently an option to show which folder an item is assigned to, but we have an open feature request for that, and I'll be happy to add your feedback. Other users have also requested this, and I agree it would be a useful feature.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you! Hopefully we'll be able to add something like that in the future. If you need anything else, please let us know. Thanks!

ref: OPM-94
    ref: OPM-1153

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

I spend quite a bit of time on my Mac doing print screens of all my assignment folders and translating them into a spreadsheet that I could sort and compare to my full list of logins. I found all the unassigned logins and assigned them. Then I created a secure note to remind me that any login created before April 24, 2015 had been assigned to its correct folder. I feared having to do the same task again next year, since I expect I will not be careful to assign each new login to a folder.

Then I happened to look at 1P on my wife's PC and low and behold one of its sort filters is Unassigned Logins! Since my Macs and my wife's PCs sync to the same folder on our Time Capsule AirDisk any login/folder housekeeping I do on one of her PCs syncs perfectly to my Macs - problem solved. If you already have an Unassigned Logins sort on your PC version why can't you add the same sort to your Mac version? I understand its different code, but it must not be too complicated if it can be done for your PC version.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

Too late to edit my earlier comment. I said 1P4 for Windows had a sort for Unassigned Logins, I went back to check and it is actually a default folder called Unassigned. In any event, 1P4 for Windows lists all unassigned logins and any new folder assignments on our PCs immediately show up on our Macs.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fourwheelcycle,

Thanks for taking the time to share your workaround! Since you have access to the Windows version of 1Password, that's certainly an option for you. And that reminds me that you should be able to create something similar in the Mac version:

• Open 1Password on your Mac and go to File > New Smart Folder
    • In the Search criteria, click Title in the dropdown menu and change it to Folder
    • Leave the other options as default, and click Save
    • Enter a name for your new Smart Folder in the left sidebar if you want to

This Smart Folder should automatically update and show all items that are not assigned to any folder. This should be similar to the "Unassigned" folder in the Windows version.

I hope that helps! If you need anything else, please let us know.

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

Drew_AG,

It works! Thank you very much.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fourwheelcycle, that's great to hear! Glad that Drew's suggestion will save you some time and hassle in the future. :)

If anything else comes up that we can help you with, you know where to find us!

This discussion has been closed.