Interoperateability issues

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

Now that Agilebits is in practically all platforms, there is still this issue:

In iOS, there is the 1Password Extension which appears solely for Mobile Safari. Chrome and others need not apply.

In the Windows Phone platform there is the new 1Password for Windows Modern in its early stages. Chrome isn't on this platform and certainly not Safari.

In the Mac Platform there 1Password 5. In the Windows Platform there is 1Password 4. (I'm still on Lion.)

It's great to see 1Password there, no doubt but there are still going to be issues across diverse platforms. With or without Dropbox!

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I see your point.

But you are wrong about iOS. The 1Password extensions can be used by any program whose developers chose to include it in. There are several apps that can be tied in with 1PW, and many that would benefit from such a link but who have not chosen to implement it yet. For instance, apps for mobile banking may or may not tie in, depending on the bank.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I have looked at apps that love 1Password in the past. I will have to revisit it but Agilebits doesn't make it easy for end users because very often we can't differentiate between Mac and/or iOS apps that are 1Password friendly.

https://blog.agilebits.com/1password-apps/

A question for the Agilebits team: Are there any apps that love 1Password for the Mac? I'm not seeing it in the page above.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Are there any apps that love 1Password for the Mac?

I would be very surprised if there were because, as I understand it, OS X does not support the same sort of extension architecture as does iOS. See, for example, this AgileBits recent post on the 1P for Mac forum.

Stephen

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C Thanks for that. I haven't yet upgraded to Yosemite so I couldn't test out 1Password 5. iOSes prior to iOS 8 didn't support Safari Extensions. I was hoping for a change. Oh Well.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

In the Windows Phone platform there is the new 1Password for Windows Modern in its early stages. Chrome isn't on this platform and certainly not Safari.

That's why it's an alpha release. Mind you, from what I understand Windows Modern apps are so sand boxed that browser integration is unlikely to be possible anyway.

In the Mac Platform there 1Password 5. In the Windows Platform there is 1Password 4. (I'm still on Lion.)

They are essentially the same feature set wise. The move to 1P v5 was forced by Apple's new OSX release. Since 1P v4 for Windows isn't that old I doubt it made sense to jump to v5 too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Just to clarify, while there is some basic extension functionality in Yosemite now it is geared more toward 'sharing'. Hopefully extensions will get some additional love from Apple in the coming months, following WWDC and the likely OS updates to follow.

In iOS, there is the 1Password Extension which appears solely for Mobile Safari. Chrome and others need not apply.

What happens in iOS 8 is that, since Safari is provided by Apple as the platform owner, extensions can simply publish themselves using the provided APIs to make themselves available there.

3rd party apps have no such APIs (nor would they be allowed due to sandboxing), so while apps such as 1Password can publish their extensions to make them available, individual apps, because they are sandboxed, need to connect to them explicitly. Otherwise there'd be opportunities for malware to just squirt itself into any app on the system with impunity. Not happy. So we simply offer the functionality within the system and provide code and assistance to other developers to add support for the 1Password extension.

And notably, I know that the Chrome team has indicated that support for the 1Password extension may be coming, but Google and Chrome itself are both juggernauts, so there's no way to tell if or when that may come to fruition.

As for Windows Modern, it's still early, but we will run into limitations there due to sandboxing. That will likely be geared more toward tablet/phone/touch, so 1Password for Windows (Desktop) is here to stay. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Dice ware is still missing from the Apple devices and from 1Password 5. I just checked my Yosemite install. Please make it happen on the Mac and iOS

And I thought that I would mention it here that mobile Chrome now supports 1Password via Share icon (iOS).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

I'll let our developers know that you'd to see Diceware password generation come to Mac and iOS. I'd love to see it too. :)

ref: OPI-1871, OPM-1482

This discussion has been closed.