Feature Request: Text recognition for inputting software licenses in 1Password

Options
cmendoza
cmendoza
Community Member

Hi,

Love the software, I've been a user for a long time, so thank you very much.

One thing that I found that 1Password is rather clunky at is when it deals with software licenses, and for that matter, anything that isn't a web form. I had a document where I kept licenses, which I've since moved to a secure note in 1P, but what I would really like to have is all of those licenses neatly organized in their own entry under the proper category in 1Password. Of course I could do this manually, but it would be a rather long job. What I would love to see is some kind of auto-detect box that you can paste text into and it figures out how the entry should be handled, much like Fantastical handles natural language input or how OS X / iOS recognize addresses and phone numbers. Granted, this is a bit more complicated, but it doesn't seem to be that much more difficult, especially if the pasted text is already to be expected to be of a certain type (like a Software License, or a Login, etc). I can imagine, for example, pressing on "New Software Licence" and then having the option of just simply pasting the license text, which would be used to auto-populate the fields of the 1Password form. That way the detector would only try to deal with particular cases, instead of a whole universe of possibilities.

Thanks a bunch again!

c.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmendoza: While I am not sure how we could do this, that is a neat idea! :+1:

In the case of Fantastical (great app!) they have the benefit of a natural language with clear parameters to parse. I'm not sure that such a thing as a 'language' exists for software license information (although obviously there will be some overlap). In my dream scenario, 1Password would be smart enough to just suck all sorts of information in and make sense of it, but as a specialized tool I'm afraid much of this is beyond its scope. Intriguing, and definitely something to consider.

@MrC: But I wonder if, in a roundabout sort of way, it might be possible to use the conversion tool on this data to process it for import as Software License items...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@brenty, thats a good idea. It's just another conversion, so software license converters could be created to read a text file, or the clipboard, and create a 1pif for importing. Maybe some folks have some samples (with munged data). I have some too.

This discussion has been closed.