Feature Request - Password Change Reminders

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

There are sites like Yahoo/Flickr that I use infrequently and I must remember to change the password on each of the sites. How do I set reminders up now? Is it possible to have a reminder system built into 1Password?

Comments

• That's an interesting proposal and might be worth exploring but the fact is, changing passwords regularly doesn't make a lot of sense from a security point of view in many cases, if you've generated a strong password with 1Password.

This article will give you more information about it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I can't reply to the other thread so I'll put it here.

In the case of something like Paypal or Amazon, you're right, they'd just do a smash and grab. However, there is the other sort of login that protects trade secrets or pre-release IP. This sort of login can be mined for a long term to massively increase the yield. Regularly password changes would certainly be worth doing there.

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hey guys,

@RichardPayne,

However, there is the other sort of login that protects trade secrets or pre-release IP. This sort of login can be mined for a long term to massively increase the yield. Regularly password changes would certainly be worth doing there.

Wouldn't such sites be reminding you to change passwords anyway as a part of a stronger password policy in place?

This is something we will improve in the future, especially by adding smart folders to 1Password to perform date-related queries.

@wkleem, one thing you can do for now is tag the items with a specific date-related name and create your own calendar events to remind you to change the password for these tagged items. In the search field, you can select alt + down to select a tag to search for.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

They haven't ever asked me to change password except after security breaches.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne: Yikes. That's certainly never good news. I guess it depends on the administrative policies. I've had logins which required a password change every 30 days at times.

Now, when they start telling me that the new password can't have any part that matches an old one I get really concerned... :angry:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

The smart folders feature sounds like a great idea when implemented in the Windows version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We have a lot on our plate right now, but I'm looking forward to Smart Folders too! :) :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Another issue for me is that some websites never seem to bother about security. Canon comes to mind. I can login and change passwords. But Watchtower still says the site is vulnerable.

https://watchtower.agilebits.com/check?h=www.canon.com.sg&port=443

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@wkleem: Ouch. I guess there are three types of companies: those that respond immediately to security threats, those that are slower-moving bureaucracies that respond only after changing the battleship's course, and others who may no longer be vulnerable only after a complete website relaunch at some point in the future. Sadly there isn't always someone on staff whose job it is to think about these things. I hope that's starting to change though. :sweat:

Fortunately, in most cases these won't be sites with a lot of our sensitive information, and -- more importantly -- using a unique password will ensure that one breach doesn't jeopardize our other accounts. :pirate:

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

But Watchtower still says the site is vulnerable.

It's not vulnerable right now, so it should be okay as long as you change your password.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I will have to recheck but the Watchtower list persistently red in Windows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Again, it isn't currently vulnerable to the Heartbleed attack, so it won't show the warning in the apps once you've changed your password. But the other warnings on the Watchtower site is because their certificates may not have been updated or revoked. I hope this helps! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem. We'll see if we can make this a bit clearer in the future. :+1:

But I'd say the main takeaway is that changing passwords after possible breaches and using unique passwords for each site to begin with goes a long way to covering your bases. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.