no logins, just identities and ccards

PSS
PSS
Community Member

Hi, when I use 1P browser on my iPad I only have axis to my credit cards and identities, but not to my logins. Does anybody know why?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    1. What version of 1P for iOS are you running? (Go to the 1P Settings screen and look towards the bottom of that for the version number.)
    2. Do you sync your 1P data with any other device? If so, what device do you sync with and what version of 1P are you running on that device? Do you see your login items on that other device?
    3. If you're running 1P5 for iOS did you make the in-app purchase to enable the pro features? (You shouldn't need to do that in order to see your logins but the information could be relevant for general troubleshooting purposes.)

Stephen

• PSS
    PSS
    Community Member

Hi Stephen or Steve,

I use version 5.4.1 on my iPad. I sync my 1P with all my devices (big fan), i.e. one iPhone, two iMacs and one MacBook Air. My iPhone also has 5.4.1 and has the same issue. I don't know which version of 1P for OS the macs use (I am not at home) but they don't have the same issue. By the way, I only have the issue when trying to use 1browser, not when I use the 1P app itself. I hope I'm not too confusing.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Pierre

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

This is a wild guess and may be completely wrong, but I'm wondering if for some reason that in your login items the display field (which you see when you edit the item on the Mac) is set to Never display in browser rather than Always. It would be odd if that were the case because it's certainly not the default but it's probably worth checking.

I don't have an iOS device to hand just at the moment but I think you can't edit that field on 1P for iOS so you may have to wait until you get back to your Mac.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member

@Stephen_C FYI there is no setting for this in IOS.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Thanks @tonydow: that's what I thought but I couldn't check at the time I was writing!

Stephen

• Hi @tonydow,

Do your login items all have the "website" field filled in with the correct URL to the websites in question?

Please let us know.

Ben

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member

@bwoodruff I think your question should have been to @PSS rather than myself.

• Yep, my apologies @tonydow. @PSS please see above. :)

• PSS
    PSS
    Community Member

I am not sure they all do, but does it really matter since NONE appear. The section "Login" does not even appear. Strangely enough, if I click on "New Login", all my logins briefly appear for a very short moment and immediately disappear to the "new login" window.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PSS,

Is this what you're seeing at all?

The iOS extension only shows matching Login items rather than allowing you to scroll through a list. So to make full use of 1Browser you would locate the Login item from within the main 1Password for iOS screen and tap on the URL. 1Password will switch you to 1Browser and fill in the page using the Login item or if the Login page is already loaded in 1Browser you can tap on the key icon to bring up the extension.

So my suspicion is you're on an empty page in 1Browser and wanting to use the extension to select the site to visit and log into. The reason you can see all of your identities and Credit Cards is because they're not something associated with a particular website and may be something you want to fill in lots of place. Now if I'm wrong at all please do correct me and we can continue trying to determine why it isn't working as expected for you :smile:

• PSS
    PSS
    Community Member

Hi, this is EXACTLY what I'm seeing. (McBoogerballs? really? :-) )

• That is the expected behavior. A login will only show if the URL of the page you are on matches the URL saved in that login item. :)

• PSS
    PSS
    Community Member

Anyone home?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@PSS - Do you have a followup question? Everyone is home, but by my reading,the previous posts have addressed the reason for what you observe. Let us know if you have other related questions, and I'm sure they will be addressed.

• PSS
    PSS
    Community Member

I am sorry. I did not really doubt that you guys were on the ball, as always. And I guess I am not entirely sure I understand the fix. Is it that I should try to access websites for which I have a login and password memorized in 1P by going first in 1P for iOS and then select the site from there as opposed to accessing the site through Safari and logging in using 1P when prompted to do so? If so, what is the purpose of the 1P extension for Safari, then?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Although I'm late to this discussion and may not entirely understand the issues, it does seem reasonable to me that 1Password can only offer to fill in credentials if it can match the URL of the site you are visiting with the one in your database. If the URL is in the database, you certainly can go to the web site in Safari and than use the extension to fill in your credentials to that site. But only if 1Password can make a reasonable match of the site you are visiting with what it has in its own database. Otherwise, it seems to me, it risks filling in the credentials for the wrong site.

I'm prompted to wonder if the issue is a misunderstanding about how to activate the extension once you are on a particular site. Have you turned the extension on? You do have to actively open the extension when you are on the site; it won't automatically fill your credentials unless you actively tell it to do so. (Sorry if that's way off base, but if I thought of it, it's because there are users who are confused about that.)

So, when I visit a web site where I need to submit credentials in 1Password, I use Safari to open the site, then tap the square with the up arrow, and pick 1Password from the options on the second line. The extension then shows me the site (or a list of sites, if there are several with the same URL), and I tap the record I want to use on that list. The credentials fill in the appropriate blanks, and then I manually tap the button to log in. This last step is required in iOS because auto submit isn't available there.

You should not have to go to 1Password and pick the site first. But only if the URL for the site is stored with the site's credentials.

I hope this long-winded comment triggers something to get you past your blockade. I expect an AgileBits support person will along in due course to add something useful to the discussion. (I'm a community volunteer, not an AgileBits employee.)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PSS,

What can I say, my entire test vault is based around a single episode of South Park. Like ~50% of the population, my sense of humour never did advance much beyond my teens :tongue:

Now without divulging anything sensitive at all it might help if we work with you through a concrete example. It might highlight where the disconnect is happening, whether this is in our software or how it is being used or believed it should work etc.

I'll use Facebook as an example of my vault. I have a Login item that contains my username and password and a website field set to https://www.facebook.com. If I then visit https://www.facebook.com in iOS Safari and with that page visible, activate the iOS Safari Extension for 1Password it will offer me that Login item. My testing finds it is matching Facebook.com and isn't worried if it starts with www. or not.

What I cannot do is start from a blank page in iOS Safari and have the extension load the URL for me after I select the required Login item. This does differ from the Mac behaviour where this is possible but the iOS extension has to be a lot smaller.

It does sound like you're visiting the site in iOS Safari and not finding a Login item where you should. What I would be interested in is how the URL in Safari compares to that stored in the item you expected to see. As I say, hopefully talking about a specific example will make this easier for both of us to communicate with each other :smile: (just don't reveal anything sensitive like a username).

• PSS
    PSS
    Community Member

I get it now. Pfew, that was long and painful. I did what you said, opened Booking.com on Safari for iOS, went to the login page and there it was, my login, when I used the 1P browser. So, hopefully, I won't bother you again. thanks again for your time and, most of all, for such a great App.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PSS, I'm glad we managed to help work through this particular puzzle :smile:

There are a couple of ways of achieving this goal.

1. You can manually enter a URL into iOS Safari, go to the login page and use the extension.
    2. You can store the URL in iOS Safari as a bookmark, load it that and use the extension
    3. If you're already in 1Password for iOS, viewing the items details, you can tap and hold on the URL stored in the website field. After a moment it will bring up small menu, the last of the options being Open in Safari. This will open a new tab in iOS Safari and then you can use the extension.
    4. Lastly, if you tap on the URL in the website field instead of tap and hold like in option 3. it will take you to 1Browser, a WebKit browser built into 1Password for iOS. It should also fill the Login item straight away as we can do that given everything is happening in our app.

So four different ways to achieve the same end goal. Really it's about preference and what works best for you. You can try each method out and see what you like :smile:

If you have any other questions or issues as well please do ask.

• PSS
    PSS
    Community Member

Thank you very much?

• You're very welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

• drneutrino
    drneutrino
    Community Member

This is happening to me as well and it started with the last release. It makes me go out to another browser window and load 1PW to do what is desccribed below. I have always managed a few very senesitive sites by purposefully not having a complete 1PW login and I pluck pieces of the username and/or password from different stored items that may or may not have a URL associated with them. They clearly do not have the proper URL on purpose and never have the password and user name together because a true paranoid doesnt even trust their master password. Essentially I've created my own internal multiple step verification which takes a tad longer to use but its very secure. I admit its not for everyone but it creates yet another level of security far beyond what is available. Any chance you will reinstate the ability to get to all the logins from within a browser that is sitting waiting for either a user name/password?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

Hi @drneutrino ,

I must say, that does sound like a unique setup! Unfortunately, adding this extra level of complication to your database is going to make things a bit trickier for you when you want to fill your details on webpages in mobile Safari.

We made the decision when designing the 1Password app extension to only display to users the Login items that match the URL they are currently viewing. We made this decision for two reasons:

• The app extension doesn't have the ability to open URLs in mobile Safari. iOS has a few limitations that are not present on Mac, which means that the 1Password app extension can't quite behave the same way that the 1Password browser extension behaves on the desktop. One of these differences is that the iOS does not permit app extensions to open URLs. This means that you can't select a Login from your list and have 1Password open the webpage and fill your details. Because of this limitation, there is little practical purpose to showing the entire list of Logins in the app extension - only the matched Login is useful.
    • Phishing protection. 1Password will match the URL that you are viewing with the URL that is saved in your item details. This is to ensure that your Login data is only sent to the site that you have selected, and not a site that may only be pretending to be the site that you were looking for. Showing only the matched Logins makes the process simpler for users - they don't have to scroll through a long list of Logins, they immediately see the one that will fill for the website they are viewing.

I hope this helps to explain why we've built the app extension the way we have. I'll admit, I'm not quite sure what advice to give if you wish to continue using this method for storing some of your items. I could give you plenty of reading material on the security of the data format that 1Password uses, but I'm sure someone as security-conscious as yourself has already gone through all the documentation. :) You might find it simpler to use 1Password's built in web-browser, 1Browser, as you will be able to easily access your 1Password database by sliding the browser out of the way (instead of switching back and forth between Safari and 1Password.)

I'm sorry that I don't have a perfect solution for you here, please do let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

• drneutrino
    drneutrino
    Community Member

Megan,

It's ok as its for just a few sites so I will adapt. I rarely use safari mobile but am quite comfortable with my apple watch and passbook/wallet. A security system that will never let anyone in who is not supposed to be but deny a few who should be is just what I want. As a programmer for just shy of 50 years I have a different perspective and yes sometimes it takes me a few tries. A small price to pay for paranoia. With about 250 unique logins, your product is WONDERFUL and saves much of my remaining MHz and memory.

Thanks
    The Dr

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drneutrino ,

I'm glad to hear that you are satisfied with your system! We all have our own unique balance between security and convenience, and it's great that you've found what works for you.

Thanks so much for your kind words - we're happy that 1Password can help save your memory.

If you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.