OpenTable.com [workaround for "Internet Explorer is denying access to a FRAME"]

Options
JeffG
JeffG
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Of course, I’d like 1Password to automatically save logins the first time I enter them, and then log me in to the site on every subsequent visit without my having to remember my username or password. I think that’s how AgileBits intends for it to work.

When I navigate to opentable.com, I’m taken to the webpage http://www.opentable.com/chicago-restaurants. On that page, there is a Sign in link. When I click on that link, I’m taken to a Please Sign In form (with the same URL as above). That form has 2 fields: Email and Password. I fill in my Email and Password, click the Sign in button, and (1) I’m logged in, and (2) 1Password prompts me to save the login. I confirm that I want to save the login in 1Password. 1Password does save the login, but only the Password is saved (username is blank). So subsequent logins can’t succeed. Even so, when I try to login in by selecting the saved login after clicking the 1Password button on the IE toolbar, I get the frame error: “Internet Explorer is denying access to a because it is on some other domain (other than this domain). Please use Auto-Type or another web browser.” Of course, when I navigate to the sign in form, Ctrl-\ doesn’t work on either field (there is no username value in the saved 1Password login).

Note that I don’t want to use or install other browsers on my computer.

If I try to manually save the login per your knowledgebase, after I save the login and then click the Log in button, I’m again prompted by 1Password to save the login. If I click Not Now, the login is saved without either username or password. If I click Save (with a new login name), the login is saved twice. The first login has no username or password. The record in 1Password displays the following web form details:

Select_1 2
datepicker May 16, 2015
Select_0 18:00

These are fields for a subsequent form on the opentable website. (This is a restaurant reservation website. Select_1 is the number of people in our party, datepicker is the desired reservation date, and Select_0 is the desired reservation time. I don’t care about 1Password saving these fields, since I’ll change them for each reservation I make.)

The second saved login has the password but no username (and no other displayed web form details).

Per a 2013 entry on the forums by MikeT, I also tried the URL https://secure.opentable.com/loginpopup.aspx. That takes me to a sign in page where I can enter my email and password, but submitting it results in “We're sorry, but we encountered a failure during the last operation.”

My environment:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Browser: Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.17728, Update Versions 11.0.18
Kaspersky Internet Security 15.0.2.361 (a)
1Password Version 4.3.2.BETA-568 (Windows)

I have found Internet Explorer Extensions under Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab > Manage add-ons > Toolbars and Extensions. But I have not found anything that says it’s a browser extension or an IE extension.

In Kaspersky, I have disabled Secure Keyboard Input.

In 1Password, Verify Web Browser Code Signature is checked. Auto-Submit Logins is checked.

I also have an iPad Air 2 (model MF010LL/A) and an iPhone 5 (model MD664LL/A), both running iOS 8.3. These devices are running 1Password 5.4.

I synchronize all 3 devices using Dropbox 3.4.4 (windows) and 3.8.1 (iOS)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@JeffG: I'm sorry for the trouble. I feel your pain... :(

I have found Internet Explorer Extensions under Tools > Internet Options > Programs tab > Manage add-ons > Toolbars and Extensions. But I have not found anything that says it’s a browser extension or an IE extension.

Sorry for the confusion! If you go to Tools (you may need to press Alt to show the menus along the top) >Manage Addons, you will see two 1Password items listed. One is for browser filling and the other the toolbar button. Both need to be present and enabled. But since you're able to access 1Password at all you should be all set there! And thank you for sharing the details of your setup! But in this case, it isn't related to other software you're using.

If I try to manually save the login per your knowledgebase, after I save the login and then click the Log in button, I’m again prompted by 1Password to save the login. If I click Not Now, the login is saved without either username or password.

Unfortunately Internet Explorer places restrictions on addons accessing frames, which is why you're receiving the error. 1Password simply cannot access the login form in Internet Explorer.

Fortunately, however, 1Password for Windows is often able to fill login credentials using Auto-Type -- both in Internet Explorer and in other apps. Check out this guide to learn more. I'm hoping that Microsoft's new web browser, Edge (neé Spartan), will be more accommodating to extensions.

So this is a special case for IE, since it fills just fine in Chrome for instance, since there are no such restrictions there. Therefore in this particular case it is necessary to create the login manually in 1Password, since it can't access the frame in IE to save it for you. Just follow these steps:

1. In the main 1Password app, go to + New Item
    2. Enter your username (email) and password, the name and URL, and save the login
    3. Edit your new login and check Use Auto-Type in web browser
    4. Go to the site and click Sign in
    5. Put the cursor in the 'email' field and press Control+\

Using this method I was able to have 1Password fill the problem login form. I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

P.S: Normally the 'browser filling' section of the forums is the best place for website issues like this, but in this case it is limited to Windows (and Internet Explorer specifically) so this is perfect. :+1:

• JeffG
    JeffG
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, brenty. That seems to have worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JeffG: You are most welcome! It's easy to forget, but Auto-Type can be helpful in cases like this (and filling in other apps too). I'm glad that helped in your case. Be sure to reach out if you have any other issues! :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.