1Password doesn't work when changing passwords on UPS.com

Options

On UPS.com's "Provide New Password" screen, 1Password's Safari Extension cannot fill in the fields with a newly created password. If the user manually copies and pastes the password, then it is not saved by 1Password, and it's deleted from the clipboard shortly thereafter.

I can't post a link directly to the page in question as it will not work. To reproduce, you must create a UPS.com account and then attempt to change your password on that account.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @freediverx,

Thank you for reporting that.

I'll compare the behaviour to that observed when changing my password on Amazon. With Amazon I first entered my old password and then using the Fill button in Password Generator caused the two other fields to fill. Clicking the Save changes button did result in the 1Password Update Login window to appear.

With the UPS change password screen I first entered my existing password like I did with Amazon. Clicking on the Fill button generated a Password item in 1Password but the password didn't fill anywhere. I switched to 1Password and copied the new password into the two fields. Clicking the Change Password button did not result in us recognising the password change. Instead it had to wait until I logged out and attempted to log in with the new password at which point the standard box popped up. I switched it from Save new Login to Update existing Login to achieve the desired effect.

Now on our Changing a saved password we do point out further down the page that we don't always get it perfect.

In some circumstances, you may not see this prompt. If that happens, don’t panic! 1Password has a safety net in place. We’ll show you how to recover the unsaved password if the changed password was not updated.

In there it will explain how we save a Password item every time you use the Password Generator. If you update or save a new Login using a password in a saved Password item then that item will be converted but what you can take away from it is you shouldn't lose a generated password, even if it isn't in the clipboard.

Trying to work perfectly on every page is the goal but it's also very tricky. There is no such thing as a standard login or change password page and developers find new and interesting ways to achieve the same outward facing behaviour whilst doing so in some unanticipated way underneath.

I don't know for certain but I suspect what is tripping 1Password up is that the new password fields aren't of the password type like the Amazon page is. On the Amazon page all three are the password type while the UPS the existing password field is of type password but the new password fields are of type text and the contents seem to be obscured another way. I'll report it as it looks like the devs will have to take a look.

ref: OPX-987

This discussion has been closed.