send doc(pdf) to 1password from an app that i have added to 1password (OSX Automator)

Options
helppls
helppls
Community Member

I would like to utilize 1password ability to store documents for logged items. So for my software purchases, I have the serial number and receipt. But I find I never add them as its too cumbersome, to open 1password, and drag and drop into the tiny space.. always requires scrolling and fiddling to get it just right to drag n drop.

I am often too busy for such fiddliness. Sorry.

Rather, I would like to, once I have the document (PDF typically) in Finder, to right click and say send to 1password, and 1password is intelligent, so then pops up, and asks me to search which item I would like to attach it to, I search, then 1password, automatically adds as attachment, prompting me for description / comment would be added bonus.

I wondered, can this be done using OSX Automator?

How do Launch 1password so I get the "search popup" that I am use to seeing when on a webpage, adding new Login? I do not want to launch the entire app as then all the focus is gone and that is cumbersome.

How do I tell 1password to add attachment?

I can learn to write a tiny bit of AppleScript to

Launch the 1password in a certain way, if I know the variables 1password uses -- can you please help me out with this
Pass the document to 1password to attach, if I know how 1password does this -- can you please help me out with this

Thankyou for your time in reading my request
Regards,

Comments

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @helppls ,

1Password does not offer Automator or AppleScript support. For security reasons, having access to your data that way can be very insecure. That's not to say such a feature could not be implemented, it would just be done as a native feature rather than through AppleScript or Automator. It's a great suggestion, and I'll submit a request to the dev team.

ref: OPM-3072

• helppls
    helppls
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thankyou for your reply and willingness to consider suggestion in your development cycle.

I suspect my suggestion is perhaps not understood as there is no security risk if the first step of the workflow process that 1password has is to authenticate. Apologizes if my writing is unclear.

Requesting the user to authenticate on App Launch is standard workflow practice for any time you wish to access data that is secured. 1password data is not atypical to any other securitized data. So I restate for clarity: One needs to authenticate before App is Launched. I rarely have 1Password Desktop open as I find the interface is subApple's intuitive standard, so authenticating is not an extra step.

I did find one possible option, perhaps even a better option than Automator or AppleScript is DropZone

• DropZone is on the app store and I just finished testing it during trial period. It is specifically designed I feel for such interactions as I am seeking. I found out it does have an API and you can add your own custom Actions (but you need to know Ruby -- not me)
    • Added 1password as an App to DropZone (1Password/DropZone combo) and correctly, asked me to authenticate on dragging and dropping the PDF onto the combo, and then I searched for the record I wanted to attach PDF too. (Very nice interaction I felt)
    • Supported my workflow -- if I did not have time right then to add the PDF to the correct item, it would stay in my dropbar, ready to be assigned.
    • What 1Password/DropZone combo did not handle, was ability to to navigate me direct to "drop file here" on the desktop 1Password form. After search, I still needed to click edit, navigate down to tiny drop section (better if entire EDIT form was droppable). For me it is a rule that could be set up in preferences that is tested in the droplet code e.g. If file dropped is a PDF, navigate user to "drop file here section"
    • Interestingly, I added other Apps to DropZone and they all worked better flawlessly. I suspect 1Password code is not yet supporting droppable actions which is now the rage... e.g. drop on docked item, drop on menu bar item, drop folder of items, drop single items

I will use the 1Password/DropZone as a temporary workaround.

• helppls
    helppls
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Screenshot of 1Password/DropZone PopOut from menubar

Please note:

Since adding DropZone, the 1password mini pop-out does not always come to the front e.g. it is under the DropZone pop-out. This make it tricky to search for something in 1Password. Better if 1Password pop-out had preference setting for "menu bar pop-out" always was on top.

Hope the post helps others.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @helppls ,

I'm glad to hear you found a workaround - thanks so much for sharing it here! We'll keep this feedback in mind as we work to improve 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.