Unlock 1Password on a Mac using Touch ID on an iPhone 5s or later

Options
noisenet
noisenet
Community Member

The ability to unlock the iOS version of 1Password using Touch ID is super convenient. Is there a way (using either Bluetooth of Wi-Fi) to have the Desktop 1Password app communicate with the iOS version & allow Touch ID to be the gatekeeper? My thinking is that this should be similar, in concept, to the various apps that allow a user to unlock OSX using Touch ID on an iOS device.

This could be feasible, no? And what a killer feature :-D

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @noisenet,

I believe with the latest versions of OS X and iOS the possibility is there and you're not the first to ask for such a feature. I've added your voice to the open request but I can't make any promises I'm afraid. There are both the technical and security implications to cover but that doesn't mean it isn't a neat idea that the devs wouldn't also like to see :smile:

ref: OPM-1972

• djh2k
    djh2k
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hey guys,

Apologies if I missed this in the forums or if it is already on the horizon.

I've recently been using the MacID app and have gotten used to the power it has given my iPhone/Watch.

This got me to thinking, what if you added a similar feature to the 1Password apps?

Imagine being able to unlock 1Password with TouchID or a tap of your  Watch and auto lock using Bluetooth proximity.

This would really save me time as my 1Password is password is quite epic.

You could also rename the app "0Password" lol.

Anyhoo, keep up the awesome work :)

Kindest,

Stu

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

See this response from AgileBits to a recent similar request.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @djh2k,

Since your request is the same as the thread from Stephen's link, I've merged the two discussions together.

Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see a feature like that in 1Password! I can't make any promises, but we do have an open request for something like that, so I've added your comments to our internal tracker to let our developers know you're interested.

Please let us know if you need anything else, and keep enjoying 1Password! :)

• julianrinaldi
    julianrinaldi
    Community Member
    Options

I became a MacID user in the past few days. I immediately fell in love with it, and immediately thought this would be an amazing feature to add to 1Password. I came here to start a thread about it, but found this one instead. Add me to the list of people who would love to see this type of feature added.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback @julianrinaldi, I'll gladly add your comments to the feature request! :)

• smkp
    smkp
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from one more MacID user.

Right now I can do a workaround by using the clipboard-sharing feature in MacID, but that compromises the security of the master password

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @smkp,

I've recorded your vote :smile:

• stomgb
    stomgb
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know @stomgb! :)

• ramatsu
    ramatsu
    Community Member
    Options

+1, or more hyperbolically, +1 zillion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! But I do have to revoke 1 zillion minus 1, in the interest of fairness. ;)

That said, this is a feature that interests me as well, so I hope that we'll be able to add a feature in this vein in the future — so long as it will add convenience without compromising on security in the least. Cheers! :)

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Solos,

Got your vote counted! Thanks! :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Will you add support for unlocking 1Password on my Mac using the Touch ID on my iPhone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Will you add support for unlocking 1Password on my Mac using the Touch ID on my iPhone?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @telefonplan,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post into an existing thread about the same feature request.

Thanks for letting us know you're interested in a feature like that! I can't say for sure if we'll add that (or when), but I can add your request to our internal tracker to let our developers know you'd also like to have that feature in 1Password.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

• jarledb
    jarledb
    Community Member
    Options

+1 For either a iPhone app touch ID integration with the Mac app, or MacID integration.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Here's hoping! :) :+1:

• rogued
    rogued
    Community Member
    Options

+1 so many times, just got MacID today and was just blown away, I can now set a super long password on my mac and not have to worry about typing it over and over (it's currently shamefully short).
    Now if only 1Password could incorporate it...the amount time saved and the frustrations reduced are endless!

• @rogued We'll add your vote. :) Thanks for the interest. Let us know if you need anything else.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I freaking love MacID. I just wish that it worked more often (it's pretty clear this is an OS X/iOS connectivity issue). Hopefully as Apple's Continuity matures we'll be able to find a great way to do something similar with 1Password. :chuffed:

• datico
    datico
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for the concept. My hope was that 1Password might just be able to monitor nearby bluetooth devices (proximity sensor); when my iphone appears nearby, then it auto-unlocks. When I walk away, it locks again. But I'm going to try MacID.

I recall once upon a time that 1P had an "unlock with my desktop password" option. Logging into my mac would also unlock 1P. It seems this option has been removed? That feature would have paired well with MacID.

• Ben
    Options

I don't recall that option, @datico, but that isn't to say it was never tried. Thanks for the vote. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@datico: I love MacID...when it works. I don't think it's their fault it all, as there still seem to be issues with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in iOS 9 and El Capitan (since resetting them often gets it working again for me). Set your expectations accordingly, and we'll continue to look into this, as it's certainly an exciting possibility. I just don't think it's ready for prime time, so it may not be in the cards for 1Password either...yet. ;)

• jaarso
    jaarso
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add my name to list of users that want to be able to utilize the connection between iOS and Mac OS X to unlock 1Password. I briefly scrolled through the above comments and noticed that a lot of people are using MacID. I don't have any experience with MacID but last week when I discovered that the "unlock your Mac with iPhone" technology existed, I found Near Lock (http://nearlock.me). I have been using it for the past week and it works fairly well.

Since we can already unlock 1Password with our fingerprint on iOS, it doesn't seem to be out of the realm of security reasonableness to do it for our Macs as well. Please add the functionality soon. :)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote, @jaarso! :)

Ben

• Peter Agocs
    Peter Agocs
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add +3 more vote (my wife, my brother and me:)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Duly noted @Peter Agocs :smile: I've added all three votes.

• crockettj
    crockettj
    Community Member
    Options

+1

This discussion has been closed.