Can a primary vault created in the app be synced to Dropbox? [cannot yet create, but can open]

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have a hard time making my Lumia created Primary vault to appear in my designated Dropbox account. Is that possible?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Not at this time, @wkleem, though it's planned for a future build.

If you don't mind my asking, though: You can't add items yet, meaning a primary vault created in the Windows Modern app is empty, so what is your goal in syncing it to another device?

Update:

To be clear, you can use a Dropbox-synced vault as your primary vault—just choose it during the "quick tour," when you first launch the app (or when you've used the "erase all data" option in Settings).

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

I wanted test this out as a starting point and then sync to OneDrive as my keychain's in Dropbox. I hoped it will work. Could I suggest dual syncing in the future?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I wanted test this out as a starting point and then sync to OneDrive as my keychain's in Dropbox.

If your keychain is in Dropbox, can you move it (presumably on the PC where it was created) to OneDrive? From there, you'll be able to open it in 1Password for Windows Modern.

Could I suggest dual syncing in the future?

By "dual syncing" do you mean the ability to sync a single vault to multiple locations (such as to both Dropbox and OneDrive)?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

By "dual syncing" do you mean the ability to sync a single vault to multiple locations (such as to both Dropbox and OneDrive)?

That's what I meant, yes. An earlier 1Password for iOS version could do this but can't anymore with 1Password 5.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

I'm not familiar enough with 1Password for iOS to know what it's capable of, especially in terms of syncing (beyond the Dropbox syncing that I use on my own iPhone).

I would think, though, that syncing a single vault to multiple Dropbox, OneDrive, or folder-based locations would open up too great a chance for sync conflicts. Wi-Fi is the only sync method that I recall hearing could be used to sync a single 1Password for iOS vault to more than one 1Password for Mac or Windows installation. Perhaps that's what you're saying is no longer possible in 1Password 5 for Mac.

Anyway, I haven't heard of any plan to make it possible for a single 1Password for Windows Modern vault to be synced to more than one location or to introduce Wi-Fi sync in 1Password for Windows Modern (although the latter may be in someone's plans for the future).

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi David,

Syncing to multiple cloud storage was in fact a feature of 1Password 4.0. It was removed in subsequent versions after that.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Hi David,

Syncing to multiple cloud storage was in fact a feature of 1Password 4.0. It was removed in subsequent versions after that.

It should have read 1Password 4.0 for iOS.

• @wkleem, technically it's not a big deal to read or write to multiple locations; however there will be much more conflicts and confusion as @DBrown mentioned. We don't have immediate plans to support such scenario, but we are here to listen to you and learn what we might be missing. What benefit it would be if we do dual sync? Can you describe you scenario a bit more please?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

@SergeyTheAgile, I find myself away from my PC most of the time and would like to be able to back up to 2 separate and independent places.

Dropbox and OneDrive appears to be independent of one another.

Another question. Does wifi sync extend to mobile devices? Not Lumia to PC but maybe Lumia to Lumia or Lumia to IOS?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Wi-Fi is exclusively for mobile-to-desktop syncing. See the Syncing your 1Password data article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide for details.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thank you.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

I find myself away from my PC most of the time and would like to be able to back up to 2 separate and independent places.

To be clear, backup and syncing are very different and completely unrelated things.

• @wkleem, thanks for clarification, we do not have backup in alpha yet, but it's on the list and we will keep in mind that you might want to have multiple backup destinations.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@SergeyTheAgile, @DBrown, Backup or sync, whichever way you want to describe it, just be sure to be consistent.

To be clear, backup and syncing are very different and completely unrelated things.

I do mix them up at times.

Thank you.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

No problem! I can see how they might seem similar, but the difference is important. They're kind of like a photograph vs. a live video stream.

Backup takes a snapshot of your data at a specific moment and saves it somewhere outside the main data storage space. In case of some sort of catastrophic failure, you could use the backup to get back your data as it existed at that specific moment. Establishing a good backup regimen is an important element of protecting yourself from data loss and of being able to revert to a previous version of your data.

Sync is "live": it makes sure your data is up to date on all the devices where you use it, but it might not allow you to revert to some previous version. A dependable automatic sync mechanism gives you access to the latest version of your data on multiple devices, no matter where you are.

Note that sync is still manual, in these alpha builds of 1Password for Windows Modern. If you add or delete or edit items in 1Password on your Mac or PC, you might want to follow up by syncing the affected vault on your Windows 8.1 device running the Windows Modern app.

• DerBandit
    DerBandit
    Community Member

I use 1password 4 latest version on Windows with sync to Dropbox. I coppied the existing vault into a folder .opvault. But the App on Windows phone tells me bad vault format.
    Can't I use my current Vault in the Alpha Test?

Thanks
    Berthold

• DerBandit
    DerBandit
    Community Member

Me again...
    I exported my current vault and imported it into a new created .opvault type it is saved in a directory on onedrive called xyz.opvault as a subdirectory of 1Password
    But when adding Onedrive in the App, it does not find any vault. I'm lost... :(

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Just to double-check, @DerBandit, did you follow these steps to create the opvault folder in 1Password 4 for Windows?

To use .opvault in 1Password for Windows

Caution:

• Because of a known problem, some items may not make the transition from AgileKeychain through 1PIF to OPVault, so do not discard or stop using your .agilekeychain folder in 1Password for Windows! We apologize for the inconvenience.

• 1PIF is a plain-text format, so your data is not encrypted. Be sure to delete the 1PIF file securely!

1. Export all items to 1PIF.

2. Create a new vault, using the .opvault format.

3. Open the new vault, and import the 1PIF file, making sure you select the "No to all" option when asked whether to replace duplicates.

Important: If you elect to replace duplicates, you increase the likelihood of some items failing to be imported.

This discussion has been closed.