Importing from old app Steel

Options
wesgima
wesgima
Community Member

I did a search and came up with a page that addressed my issue but the link on the page seems to be dead:

http://switchersblog.com/2009/08/a-warm-welcome-to-steel-users.html

Can this be reprinted so I can move my information?

thanks,

wes

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

@wesgima

Google cache is your friend, well it was for me on this particular question anyway. :pirate:

Original page you asked for is here : http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0VKfc9mGSlIJ:https://blog.agilebits.com/2009/08/18/450858999/

Conversion / Migration link : http://ihack.us/2009/08/04/migrating-from-steel-app-to-1password/

• Please note that the importing was accomplished through 1Password 3, you can use the free trial to accomplish this. I looked at 1Password 5 and it will not accept the specific export format from steel.
    • You would in my understanding move to 1Password 3 (using free trial) then move to 1Password 4 (Mavericks + ) or 1Password 5 (Yosemite only) or you could continue to use 1Password 3. Much of the previous depends on your version of OS X etc. Please feel free to ask more questions as you have time to review the information. Including sharing specifics about your current setup if you would like detailed information.

Agilebits doesn't sell 1Password 3 any longer, to purchase a license you would visit the web store and purchase 1Password 5. That would give you a key for 1Password 4 and 5 as well as 1Password 3. * This option doesn't allow for iCloud syncing.

If you want iCloud syncing purchase from the Mac App Store then send support+license@agilebits.com an email with the purchase receipt from the Mac App Store. From that point they can generate a 1Password 4 and or 1Password 3 key for you if needed.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wesgima,

The one thing I'm uncertain of is whether the convertor in 1Password 3 will work in Yosemite. As Apple have updated OS X they've also updated runtime libraries and various 3rd party applications/environments that come as part of OS X e.g. Python, Perl etc. I'm fairly certain that importing a .1pif into 1Password 3 is broken in Yosemite because because of this. It would work fine in a copy of Snow Leopard for example but not Yosemite.

It might be we can tweak whatever Steel outputs so you can use the file in MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility or he may be willing to add support.

If you could let us know what version of OS X you're running that will give us an idea of how to proceed forward. Hopefully we can get you up and running without too much effort :smile:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @wesgima,

After I get my HD restored, I'll take a look at the output from Steel. I was able to find version 1.1.8 from the Internet Archive.

Please let us know if you are still interested in this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As always @MrC, you are a legend :smile:

• wesgima
    wesgima
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help.

This is what I've done.
    I actually have iPassword going all the way back to Version 2 but I've never used it since Steel was working so well for me. I made the decision to move because of Steel's demise and I knew it would eventually not work.

So I upgraded to iPassword 5 because I use Macs with both Mavericks and Yosemite. Eventually all will be upgraded but the one that I'm working with now has 10.9.5.

I did as the article suggested. The version 3 that was suggested turned out to be an older one which I fortunately had. It imported fine and I then opened in version 4 and everything seems to be there. (But the interface was better in 3 as software item showed an icon.)

My biggest problem now is that everything was imported into Logins. 90% of my information is software serial numbers. I cannot figure out how to convert them over. In Steel, this was not a problem; I could just change the category.

The other thing is that there's no hardware serial number category. What do people do for that?

wes

• wesgima
    wesgima
    Community Member
    Options

I probably should mention that I have close to 1200 items of which 930 are software serials.

wes

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @wesgima,

That's great, I'm glad you were able to import your data into 1Password! :)

Now, as far as your software serial numbers being imported to Login items in 1Password, unfortunately it is not currently possible to change an item's category because each category has a unique set of default fields. We're looking at this for the future and might have some better solutions eventually, but for now, you would need to copy and paste the data into a new item in the new category.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! Manually copying/pasting data from one item to another is certainly not an ideal solution for 930 Login items that should be Software License items instead, and I'm hoping/wondering if someone has a better workaround.

@MrC, do you happen to have any ideas for this?

ref: OPM-1735

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wesgima, I almost forgot about your other question:

The other thing is that there's no hardware serial number category. What do people do for that?

We usually suggest storing data in Secure Notes if there's not a more suitable category - although you can certainly use a different item type if you want.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

My desktop Mac is operational again - I'll take a look today. With so many serial number entries, the OP is going to want to either use a CSV import or wait for my exploration of a converter.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @MrC! :) If there's any way to help change those 930 items into Software License items, I'm sure @wesgima will really appreciate it.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Wesgima,

I'm replying in the public forum, following up on our private message conversation, since my findings will be relevant to others.

I reviewed the Steel vault export, and it looks pretty good.

• The converter will be able to detect and handle the stock Categories, since the category names per record are present in the export.
    • Custom categories can be imported, but by default, will go into Secure Notes, since the columns are arbitrary and meaningless (we can add table entries in the converter to handle custom categories, and its easy enough, but we'll cross the bridge later when you need to).
    • The converter will include all of Steel's 13 stock categories, and convert them into the relevant 1Password categories (defaulting to Secure Notes where necessary).
    • Multi-line notes get flattened into a single line by the Steel exporter - there's nothing the converter can do to resolve this lossy export. But at least you'll have your notes in the Notes section of each entry.

The conversion process is actually pretty painless - here's a movie to show you how it works (this movie happens to be showing how to convert in general, but specifically using the mSecure password manager).

This discussion has been closed.