Hi. How do I associate my PC 1Password with my email account (as is with iOS)?

Hi. How do I associate my PC 1Password with my email account (as is with iOS)?

Comments

• Hey @GotThisOneRight, thanks for getting in touch with us!

1Password is licensed per platform, and the differences in the platforms (and stores for those platforms) lead to differences in licensing. On iOS, 1Password is available through iTunes, so like other iOS apps, there's no actual license associated with it. Rather, the Pro features are linked to the Apple ID they're purchased with.

A 1Password 4 for Windows license, however, is available in our webstore and is an actual license key. When you purchase a 1Password 4 for Windows license, you'll need to enter a valid email address for that license to be associated with. Your license key will be sent to this address. In that sense, you can associate your 1Password 4 for Windows license with your email account, but the email address itself won't stand in for the license as it does on iOS.

I hope that clarifies things for you! Let us know if you have further questions. Thanks!

• GotThisOneRight
    GotThisOneRight
    Community Member

Thanks Peri. Perhaps I should have mentioned that the idea is to sync credentials across devices. So, if I purchase a license I will be able to do that, with the email address acting as a single unified identifier?

• Hey @GotThisOneRight. I think I may be misunderstanding you here, so please forgive me if I get this wrong. :)

It sounds to me like you're wanting your licenses for both 1Password on your iOS device and your PC linked to the same email account. While it is possible to have both licenses linked to the same email address, the iOS Pro features are handled by iTunes, and we don't have any access to those records. So essentially, though you can use the same email address for your Apple ID and for your 1Password 4 for Windows license, they'll still be separate. The Pro features on iOS will be handled through Apple and the Windows license will be in our license database.

Upon reading your followup, though, I think I may have misunderstood your original question. It sounds like you may be referring to syncing all 1Password data, rather than just linking your licenses. If that's the case, please take a look at our user guides, which have step-by-step instructions for syncing your data between Windows and iOS:
    Windows: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/sync-options
    iOS: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/syncing

In that case, the single unified identifier would be your Master Password, rather than an email address.

Does that explain things a little better?

• GotThisOneRight
    GotThisOneRight
    Community Member

It definitely does. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GotThisOneRight: Excellent! On behalf of Peri, you are most welcome!

I'll just add — to clarify — that AgileBits has access to neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password you use to secure it. So you're not identifying with us so much as your vault. Or if you use a cloud service to sync (iCloud or Dropbox, for instance), you'll be identifying with them in order to log in to sync your data, but your Master Password will be needed to unlock the vault — without it no one can get it! :)

• GotThisOneRight
    GotThisOneRight
    Community Member

Thanks. I think I got it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

• GotThisOneRight
    GotThisOneRight
    Community Member

One more: whenever I get to a new subscription website 1password identifies it, but asks me to unlock. I unlock to add the credentials - but then when I get to that website again it asks me to unlock and add the credentials again. What am I doing wrong?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GotThisOneRight,

Are you using 1Password to fill the Login you already saved when you see the prompt to save it again? Which browser are you using?

I'm moving this to the Windows support forum to make sure this gets the attention it deserves. :)

Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

but then when I get to that website again it asks me to unlock and add the credentials again. What am I doing wrong?

@GotThisOneRight: If this is happening to you at a particular site, let us know the URL so we can take a look at it for you. It may be that we can do something to improve this!

However, if 1Password is offering to save a login it already has every time you go to any site, there might be something else going on. Please let us know which Windows, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using.

Just keep in mind that 1Password will always try to detect if you're saving a new login. If you're on a different page than the one 1Password has saved (or you're using a different username or password), 1Password will (rightly) try to offer to save the new information.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back form you!

This discussion has been closed.