REQ: Constant monitor/recording of all form fields

Options
Smudge
Smudge
Community Member

How many of us have been filling out a web form and before you submit, you select all of the text and copy it? Or if it is a multi-field form, take a screenshot? I know I have many times and have had to recommend the same behavior to others.

For a long time I've been using the Lazarus Chrome extension. This extension automatically saves the text of any web form and allow you to recall it later. This is incredibly useful for those times that you enter a bunch of info but when you submit the form, it fails to submit due to either server issues or you took too long and it timed out. Going back in the browser usually does not reload the form info so you have to enter it all again.

Well due to the recent increase in browser security enhancements and the "I'm watching everything you do" concept of Lazarus, it stopped being updated via the Chrome store last year and the development of the site direct version is going downhill fast. Even his site is no longer available and I suspect the author won't be back.

I'll hate to lose this functionality when Chrome hard-disables all non-Chrome Web Store extensions this summer so I've been looking into other options. This is when I realized that 1Password could integrate this functionality. 1P already has the foundation to capture the data and the secure environment to keep form data.

Some requirements off the top of my head are

• Store it securely (duh!)
  • Could be saved into a separate local-only 'vault' so as to not clutter up the primary vault or constantly trigger syncs.
  • Save the form every so often. Every 30/60 seconds and/or when the user has stopped typing for >10 seconds.
  • Still works when 1P is locked. If so, it would be write-only mode. Can not access the saved form data without unlocking 1P
  • Form data expires after user-specified time (1hr, 1day, 1week)
  • Optionally integrate with Knox for long-term storage of form data

Please consult with your developers to come up with a way that 1P could capture any/all form data. This issue is a major frustration to many users (especially my parents that always take too long to fill out forms and then complain to me asking to bring it back) and we need a solid solution. Lazarus was good but a lone developer with a free extension just doesn't work. We need someone like Agilebits to do it right.

If this is not something that could be directly integrated with 1P, perhaps a separate extension could be created using the 1P and Knox foundations?

Thank you for an amazing product. I hope this idea could become a reality and make 1P even more amazing.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Smudge,

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your suggestion! It certainly seems like you've put a fair amount of thought into that, and I can definitely see how it would be a very helpful feature.

I can't make any promises of course, but I can certainly let our developers know about your feature request. Now, I'm not a programmer myself, but from what I know of the way 1Password works, this sort of feature would actually take quite a bit of work, and is probably not something we'd be able to add in the near future, if at all. It really is an interesting idea though, and even if it's not something that we're able to include in 1Password, I'd love to see a tool to help with that. I've definitely run into problems submitting long web forms and lost information due to problems with that, and had to re-write it all over again.

Thanks again for your request, it's certainly something interesting to consider! :)

This discussion has been closed.