A lot of (1..9) next to my 1Password.html in Dropbox, can I clean them up [Yes, read more here]

Options
vbphil
vbphil
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

After a Dropbox sync was completed I went there to look at what was being stored. I'm finding an extraordinary number of files. Can any of them be deleted?

I see this in the agilekeychain folder: (C:\Users\xxxxxxx\Dropbox\1Password\xxxxxx.agilekeychain)

These are the files in the agilekeychain/data/default folder. there are 799 files there and I'm only showing a few of them. Except for those first two the rest area*.password files. Maybe each one represents an entry in my 1Password instance.

Comments

• Are you seeing any conflict copies in the data folder?

You should repair your vault via the file menu item in 1Password 4 for Windows and check if the unnecessary files are removed. If not, simply delete the numbered ones.

• vbphil
    vbphil
    Community Member
    Options

So I did the repair vault from the file menu and none of these files disappeared. I wonder, can I delete the HTML files that I've shown and also the *.password files from the data/default folder?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The 1password.html copies should be harmless. It just looks like you've done copy and paste 11 times. That said, I would suggest that you download Notepad++ and use the file compare plugin (http://www.davidtan.org/how-to-compare-two-text-files-using-notepad-plus/) or any other text differencing tool to see if they are all the same. I would guess that they but if not then it would be interesting to know what the differences are as if the differences indicate malicious code then it would indicate that your Dropbox account as been penetrated.
    Assuming that they are all the same then move all of the copies out of the vault folder. You could just delete them but the paranoid in me likes to move stuff first in case there's a problem and they need to go back.

The .1password files are a different matter entirely. Each of these contains the encrypted data associated with an item in your vault. DO NOT delete any of these.
    What @AlexHoffmann was referring to when he mentioned "conflict copies" is this:

This is what happens when Dropbox can't resolve the most current version of the data when more than one device is syncing changes simultaneously. Do you have any files in data\default that look like that?

Having 799 files in the data\default folder is perfectly normal if you have nearly 800 items in your vault.

• vbphil
    vbphil
    Community Member
    Options

I tried opening any of the HTML files and I'm getting an error;

A problem occurred when loading the "file:///C:/Users/xxxxx/Dropbox/1Password/PDBase.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file.

When I look for that file I can't find it.

Any ideas?

• You need to access that file via the Dropbox website.
    Almost all browsers have limitations on what kind of file you can open locally.

Simply go to Dropbox.com, log into your account and then locate the html file.

Oh and thanks @RichardPayne for the great explanation.

• vbphil
    vbphil
    Community Member
    Options

Great explanation. That works.

• MikeT
    Options

On behalf of the guys here, you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.