Tons of problems with iMac

Options
kentleesandefer
kentleesandefer
Community Member

Ok, so I have bought the paid version of the app for iphone. Then, I downloaded the free app from agilebits website for my iMac. So, I did not realize that you can not sync to icloud unless you buy this 49.99 version from the mac app store. (new to apple products). Now, it is basically on my mac twice. The new app, does have the option to sync to icloud, but it will not do it because it says there is already info in icloud, but apparently the password I am using is correct. I do not recall putting anything in icloud EVER, its currently all backed to dropbox.

Additionally, it only gives me the option to sync my primary vault. I have a second vault I share with a family member for our joint accounts etc, and doesn't give me the option to put that one to icloud. I don't understand why! Are you only aloud to back up one vault.

I am trying to get away from icloud, and just really want to back everything up to icloud no matter the device. This is so confusing, any help would be greatly appreciated. Couldn't find a umber to speak with an actual person.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Technically, there is no free version. The version direct from AgileBits is just a thirty day trial, for permanent use you have to buy a license.

I believe iCloud sync at present only allows sync of the primary vault, whereas Dropbox sync allows sync of all vaults.

If you really want to get away from iCloud, you might want to see if you can get a refund from Apple and buy direct and use Dropbox.

I don't quite understand why you wanted to have iCloud sync at all given that you are trying to get away from iCloud.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kentleesandefer,

I'm sorry for any confusion about all this! All the information from danco is correct, and I just wanted to add a few things to that:

Now, it is basically on my mac twice.

The Mac App Store version of the 1Password app is named 1Password.app. The AgileBits Store version is named 1Password 5.app. You can delete the one you're not using by dragging it from Applications to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning utilities to do that). But before deciding which one to keep and which one to delete, make sure you read the rest of my response.

I searched our system for the email address associated with your forum account, and I see that you purchased a license for 1Password 5 for Mac from our website back in March. That version (i.e. 1Password 5.app) can sync with 1Password on your iPhone via Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync. If you no longer want to use iCloud sync, then you don't need the Mac App Store version of 1Password (i.e. 1Password.app) and should be able to get a refund from Apple if you bought that recently. But if you want to continue using iCloud sync with 1Password, you'll need to keep the Mac App Store version.

The new app, does have the option to sync to icloud, but it will not do it because it says there is already info in icloud, but apparently the password I am using is correct. I do not recall putting anything in icloud EVER, its currently all backed to dropbox.

If you've never used iCloud sync in 1Password 5 before, then I don't know how you could already have data there. Have you ever enabled iCloud sync in 1Password 5 on your iPhone? If so, that explains it. To sync that data to 1Password on your Mac, you'll need to enable iCloud sync and enter the same master password that you use for 1Password on your iPhone.

If you've never used iCloud sync in 1Password on your iPhone and/or you can't set up iCloud sync on your Mac because it won't accept your master password, we can help you reset the data in iCloud (as long as you have all your 1Password data on your iPhone, you won't lose anything).

Additionally, it only gives me the option to sync my primary vault. I have a second vault I share with a family member for our joint accounts etc, and doesn't give me the option to put that one to icloud.

Currently, iCloud sync only works with the Primary vault (secondary vaults can be synced via Dropbox or Wi-Fi). However, I'm not sure it would help you if you could sync a secondary vault via iCloud, because unfortunately, iCloud does not let you share your 1Password vault with a different iCloud account. In order to share a vault with your family, you'll need to use Dropbox sync instead.

I am trying to get away from icloud, and just really want to back everything up to icloud no matter the device.

I'm a bit confused here, as I'm not sure whether you want to stop using iCloud sync, or start using iCloud sync. But either way, if you can let us know what you'd like to do, we'll be happy to help you! :)

• kentleesandefer
    kentleesandefer
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies I can see how that is confusing. I am wanting to get away from DROPBOX, not iCloud. iCloud is actually where I want everything to be. (too many clouds and boxes, prefer all my eggs in the same basket so to speak) I think for now I will just sync the vault to the family members paid iPhone app, and copy it to their primary vault to avoid having to retype it all, and then do away with the shared vault and Password 5. I guess I forgot that I paid for the app I downloaded from AgileBits, I thought it was free. I think I will keep the one from the Mac Store just because it syncs with iCloud, and I believe I am past my point of refund on the app from AgileBits so I will just stuff it into a folder somewhere out of sight. Thank you both for your explanations I think I have a better grasp (somewhat) of how this works. Much Appreciated. I can see it is going to be great eventually once I get everything in there.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad our explanations were helpful! These things can definitely be a bit confusing at first, and hopefully we'll be able to make it all clearer in the future. We're always happy to answer any questions you have, though.

It sounds like you have a plan for syncing your data, and I hope that all goes well, but remember that we're here for you if you need us! :)

This discussion has been closed.