Share a vault or an item problem

Hi,

I am having problems sharing a vault or an item with an assistant and havent been able to do it properly.

I follow the steps given in the knowledge base to share my vault key via dropbox or item link via email and in both cases when my assistant tries to log in using 1password (free version) she is asked the master password and she cant access the needed websites.

I understand that if I share the master password my assistant is going to have access to all the log in information from those accounts and I don't want that to happen.

I am using windows version and would appreciate some help so that I can share my vault or item securely.

Thank you,

Mauricio

Comments

• Hi @mauriciobrito,

I am having problems sharing a vault or an item with an assistant and havent been able to do it properly.

Are you sharing a separate vault with the items you want your assistant to have access to or are you sharing your primary vault with everything in it?

when my assistant tries to log in using 1password (free version) she is asked the master password and she cant access the needed websites.

The vault is encrypted with your password and in order to decrypt it, she must have the password for it.

I understand that if I share the master password my assistant is going to have access to all the log in information from those accounts and I don't want that to happen.

If you're trying to provide a way for your assistant to log into your accounts without knowing the passwords for them, this is not possible at all. She must know the site passwords to log in, there is no technical and/or secure way to hide this.

To selectively share only the items you want to share with your assistant, you need to create a separate vault with its own password and then copy the items from the first vault into this new vault. Share that vault with your assistant and give her the password for it, she'll see everything in that specific vault.

• mauriciobrito
    mauriciobrito
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Ok thank you for your response. And yes, I was trying to do that, I thought that I could share a vault or items with my assistant without her knowing the login / password details and that she could just click the browser 1password icon and use it as I would normally do when I log into websites.

But now that you clear the issue for me I will share a vault with her even though she can find my login details.

Thank you,

Mauricio

• Hi @mauriciobrito,

You're welcome. You'll want to read our guide on vault sharing here for more information on what happens after you share a vault and would like to revoke it.

This discussion has been closed.