Help with Chrome and Auto Filling UN & PWs with 1Password For Windows [Possible AV issue]

Options
CoeurD'Acier
CoeurD'Acier
Community Member
edited June 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi Agile Team - I have tried all troubleshooting related to this matter that is related on the agile bits support site.... and can not get 1Password to auto sign in to my accounts. I have a Windows PC (Lenovo X220) and use **Malwarebytes Anti-Malware **and **Spy-bot S&D **as additional security measures. Do you know if 1Password works with these security products? Anything I need to do to get them to work? Maybe the problems lies elsewhere? Thanks.

Here is what I see after trying to use 1Password to sign me into a site (and yes the extension is already installed)
Welcome to the 1Password Extension!
Automatically store your website Logins when you sign in, and log in next time with a click or keyboard shortcut (CTRL+).
Use your securely stored credit cards to easily fill out forms while shopping.
Fill out sign up forms without needing to type a single letter

After this I typically get a message that indicates Chrome can not verify the signature. I DO NOT use Chromium. Just Chrome.

PS - I have 1Password for Windows - Version 4.5.0.573

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

I have a Lenovo X220 and use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spy-bot S&D as additional security measures

On a Lenovo? Yeah, you need additional security measures.

I typically get a message that indicates Chrome can not verify the signature.

Please turn OFF this setting: Help > Advanced > Verify web browser code signature

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @CoeurD'Acier,

As Stefan mentioned, you can disable the code signature check in the main 1Password program's Help Menu > Advanced > Verify web browser code signature and see if it works with it disabled.

If it does, it is likely caused by your security programs and you might want to check if you can whitelist the 1Password processes in these programs or you can leave the code signature check disabled (not recommended) in 1Password.

Let us know if that did fix the problem or not.

• CoeurD'Acier
    CoeurD'Acier
    Community Member
    Options

Both - Thanks.

• On Stefan's Lenovo suggestion: I checked and the X series (X220 in my case) Snapfish is not installed according to article he sent me, many others but not the X series... I searched the drive as another measure and couldn't find it.

• As far as the verify code sig - I had tried that before and did it again - Disabled the Verify web browser code signature.... Still wont work and gives me the same result - looks for the extension, opens up a new tab in Chrome and suggests that I install the extension - here is the message on the new tab: ..."Welcome to the 1Password Extension! Automatically store your website Logins when you sign in, and log in next time with a click or keyboard shortcut (CTRL+). Use your securely stored credit cards to easily fill out forms while shopping. Fill out sign up forms without needing to type a single letter." Then I have to manually cut and paste my PW's.

• Finally, I did try to whitelist 1Password and I believe I did but can you tell me what specifically I need to whitelist? A folder, a file, a program? Just to be sure I am doing it properly.

Any other suggestions? I do want to know if 1Password is compatible with Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware programs. I believe the issue began after installing them.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

On Stefan's Lenovo suggestion: I checked and the X series (X220 in my case) Snapfish is not installed according to article he sent me

That was a bad joke on my part. I'm glad you verified and made sure your PC doesn't have any malware, though.

As far as the verify code sig - I had tried that before and did it again - Disabled the Verify web browser code signature.... Still wont work

It does make this error go away, doesn't it? "I typically get a message that indicates Chrome can not verify the signature."

here is the message on the new tab: ..."Welcome to the 1Password Extension!"

From here on, our extension should "just work". Have you tried clicking on the 1Password button in your web browser?

I do want to know if 1Password is compatible with Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware programs. I believe the issue began after installing them.

On a PC with Windows 8, you do not necessarily need these. Windows Defender is pretty good.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @CoeurD'Acier,

In addition to what Stefan have wrote, are you resetting your browser each time you close it? You should not see the welcome page every time you open 1Password, it only occurs the first time you use it.

Close the welcome page, open a site you want to login and see if 1Password works.

• CoeurD'Acier
    CoeurD'Acier
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,

I typically leave my browser open for long periods of time. I try to restart daily but not always.

Recently, I have been able to get 1Password to work One (1) time but then after that it reverts back to the message page I mentioned above.

Does anyone know if 1Password works with Malware or Spybot?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @CoeurD'Acier,

We tested both before and they were working. Malwarebytes by default does not interfere with 1Password from our testings recently. We have seen cases where specific user-configured options in MalwareBytes can interfere with 1Password's support in the browsers.

We tested Spybot a while ago and did not see any issues, it is possible an update for Spybot has changed this. I'll test this soon and see if we can reproduce the problem.

Finally, I did try to whitelist 1Password and I believe I did but can you tell me what specifically I need to whitelist? A folder, a file, a program? Just to be sure I am doing it properly.

It depends on the program but to test this, try whitelisting the folder and the files as well here:

Whitelisting:

Folder: .. > Program Files (x86) > 1Password
    Processes: .. > Program Files (x86) > 1Password > Agile1pAgent.exe and .. > Program Files (x86) > 1Password > 1Password.exe

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @CoeurD'Acier,

Can you tell me if you paid for Spybot to use its anti-virus engine or using its free version? I just tested the free edition and it did not interfere with 1Password at all.

• CoeurD'Acier
    CoeurD'Acier
    Community Member
    Options

It was paid. Thank you for checking. Good to know the free version works. I still can't get this to auto run but for now I will just keep copying, not the end of the world. Thanks for the help.

• Thanks for letting us know.
    We'll take another close look at the paid version to determine if it's the culprit that's causing the problems and if it is, whether we can find a a workaround for the problem.

• CoeurD'Acier
    CoeurD'Acier
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. For now I am OK with the cut and paste.

• Please make sure your machine is secure when using cut & paste. Filling login credentials and other date with 1Password can help guard you from things like clipboard sniffers.

We're already on the case and are hoping to find a solution or workaround for this quickly.

• Hi @CoeurD'Acier, thanks for being so patient with us.

We've run some tests with the free and paid versions of Spybot Search & Destroy.
    The good news is that at default settings we found that it doesn't interfere with 1Password 4 for Windows on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

I'd like to propose a call and a screen sharing session during which I can take a closer look at your system.
    If you're ok with this, please send an email to support+windows@agilebits.com, mention my name in the subject line (AlexH) and add a link to this thread in the body of the email.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.