Login filling not working

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Update Failure - can't access 1p in browser.

Comments

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member

Hi--I'm having sort of same problem--running 10.10.3 and 1PW ver 5.3 and the mini 1PW will not fill passwords and user names--if go to full 1PW it will not open any site

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TripleHjr,

Unless I've misunderstood, it sounds like you're actually having a very different problem than in the previous thread, so I've moved your message to a new discussion to avoid confusion. I hope you don't mind!

The other thread was about not being able to install an update for 1Password 3 or open the 1Password 5 app. But from your description, it sounds like you're having trouble getting 1Password to fill your login credentials on websites. Is that correct? If so, is this a problem for all of your Login items in 1Password, or just one/some? Was it previously working for you, and if so, when did the problem start?

It will also help if you can describe the exact steps you're taking to have 1Password fill your login info. For example, do you double-click a Login item in the main 1Password app? Or do you select a Login item from the 1Password extension in your web browser? Or do you go to a website and then use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut? What happens when you try those things? If you get any errors, what do they say?

The more details you can give us about what you're trying and what happens when you try it, the better. Or if I misunderstood the problem, please let us know. Thanks in advance!

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member

Hi Drew--sorry--got pulled off my own projects by the boss of the house--I took the advice of previous discussion and tossed 1Password app and downloaded 1PW for Mac ver 5.3.1 and went back to NYTimes--I can get 1PW to work from main list of logins but if get to login page of NYT via an email suggestion the mini 1PW will not fill the user and password--next suggestion?--Hank

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Hank ( @TripleHjr ),

It's always important to listen when the boss of the house calls, I understand! :)

if get to login page of NYT via an email suggestion the mini 1PW will not fill the user and password--next suggestion?

My first guess here would be that the URL provided in the 'email suggestion' might be different than the URL that you have saved in 1Password. 1Password is very careful to fill only on matched URLs (which, I'm sure you can understand is a security measure.) If you copy the URL from that email suggestion and save it into your NYTimes Login entry as a secondary website, does 1Password fill now?

If not, please provide a bit more detail on what "will not fill" looks like. I know it sounds silly, but here are some questions to help clarify:

• Are you using ⌘\ ( Command- \ ) to fill, or opening the 1Password extension and clicking on your NYTimes Login?
    • Do you not see your NYTimes Login in the list when you expect to?
    • Do you get any sort of error message when filling fails?

Thanks so much for your help in tracking this down!

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member

Hi Megan--

I use NYTimes.com---get to main web page with "Login" requested at top right--if I hit that the login page comes up with same URL showing in the top of Safari browser--I go to mini 1PW and it says "NY Times"--I select that and it returns me to general NYTimes main page without logging me in--no error message shows--
    Now I also have a real fix problem with Verizon FIOS and Wireless confusing each other in 1PW--Hank

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TripleHjr,

It sounds like you're running into an issue that our developers are aware of. The problem is that the popup login window on nytimes.com is dismissed automatically when there is any activity in the main page. Basically, the 1Password extension accidentally causes that popup window to close before it can fill the login credentials.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! I'll let our developers know you're also experiencing this problem, and hopefully we'll be able to improve this in a future update. For now, you'll need to either copy/paste your login credentials into the popup window, or use the alternate login site: https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login

ref: OPX-934

Now I also have a real fix problem with Verizon FIOS and Wireless confusing each other in 1PW

Can you please elaborate on that? I'm not sure if I understand what sort of problem you're describing. What steps are you taking and what is or isn't happening the way you expect? Are you getting any error messages in the process? Please walk us through it. The more information you can give us the better and more quickly we'll be able to assist you. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.