Autotype randomly crashing [window title issue, fixed in build 574]

founderio
founderio
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

1Password crashes randomly when using Autotype.
Usually the error happens directly after pressing the autotype-button, before the window list is shown. Only the main appliaction window crashes, the helper still runs afterwards. But, the vault has to be unlocked again.
No real error message appears, but windows saves a crash dump (You can find the transscript here: pastebin.com/myAMWXXs) with the message "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access."

As I only use the autotype-feature with SAP Logon, that process was always running. Often just opening an additional system login page is enough to cause a crash, so I assume there is some conflict with saplogon.exe.
At the moment I am testing if the automatic entering of logins via Hotkey also cases the same crash.

1Password Version: 4.5.0.572
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1 (64bit, 6.1.7601)
Sync Type: None

Comments

• Interesting. A couple of things:

1. Does auto-type work for other apps?
    2. Or have you tried to fill that login into an empty Editor window using auto-type?
    3. Can you please try recreating that application login once again following this guide, if you haven't tried that already?
  • founderio
    founderio
    Community Member

Regarding the points:
    1. I don't know, as I don't even get to the application selector. It seems to crash when retrieving the window titles or something.
    2. See point 1.
    3. I have also created them like this, and I am at the moment monitoring if that also causes the crash. (Does not happen 100% of the time, so I have to test for a while)

What I will try is reproduce the error and see if closing SAPLogon will fix the issue. (Not exactly helpful, but that will at least prove the involvment of that application..)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@founderio: Thanks for following up. I wonder if it's Auto-Type itself though or the keyboard shortcut, as we've had issues with that reported as well due to some software interactions.

Are you using the keyboard shortcut to Auto-Type when the crash happens? Do you get a different result if you click the Auto-Type icon in the login item within the main 1Password window? Please let us know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• founderio
    founderio
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Hi,
    no, I am not using keyboard shortcuts - I use the autotype icon.

I have tested some more, as just now the crash happened again:
    1. Fully exiting SAPLogon does NOT help. Closing Firefox did help, though. (I tried reproducing the same layout of tabs to see if that caused it. Does not seem like it.)
    2. Using the Shortcut fo directly fill an application login into SAP did work, whereas autotype crashed for every item I tried (user, password, custom text)
    3. Conclusion: Work-Around is to use the application logins (far more conventient anyways), but the crash persists.

Additional info: I use FF 38 beta, although the crash happened in earlier versions too. Installed Add-Ons: 1Password (duh), Adblock Plus, IE Tab (which is most of the time running when this crash happens) and a lot of stuff that comes with software on this machine.. codecs, office, etc..

Also, Version 573 did not fix the issue.

• founderio
    founderio
    Community Member

Well, helloooo my dear crash: I think I have the cause figured out.
    Every time I open a specific type of incident in my companies service desk, I get the crash.. And only if that tab is active in Firefox.
    Either it is becuse some HTML is included or it is because of the title length? See screenshot:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@founderio: Ouch! That's great(?)! :dizzy:

Would you be able to provide the HTML source via email (support+forums at agilebits dot com, and include a link to this discussion), or might there be a risk of private information being exposed? I'd love to see if we can track down exactly what it is that's causing this to get it fixed.

I'm glad you narrowed it down at least, as this was puzzling for me (as I am fortunately enough to not being running into a similar issue in my testing). Hopefully that will -- even if it isn't something we can fix on our end -- allow you to work around it at least. But I am hopeful that we can find a solution ourselves. Thanks again for your diligence! :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@founderio Version 4.5.0.574 should fix this problem. Can you please download version 4.5.0.574 and confirm the fix? Thanks! /cc @brenty

• founderio
    founderio
    Community Member

@svondutch Hm, I don't see that version (yet?).
    I will check again later & see if that fixes the issue.

@brenty I would not have been able to provide the html source. As far as I understand it, this application only loads minimal layout (all IFrames) and processes the remaining information via JavaScript. Let's hope, 574 fixes the issue :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I don't see that version

@founderio It is here now.

• founderio
    founderio
    Community Member

Seems to work flawlessly now. Consider it fixed :)
    Thanks for your support!

• @founderio - Thanks for confirming that the latest version of 1Password fixed this issue, and on behalf of @svondutch - you are very welcome :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@founderio: Excellent! I'm glad to hear that fixed it. svondutch's sleuthing paid off! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.