New to 1Password - first question

Options
PhyberOptik
PhyberOptik
Community Member

I will be installing 1PW on my Air this weekend. From what I've read so far, if one forgets their master pw there is no way to retrieve it. If that situation happens, can one delete 1PW, reinstall with the same reg code and start over? I do have a WD external backup drive that I use with Carbon Copy Cloner but reading some of the other posts it seems that there may be issues with that as well.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yes, there's no problem starting over. You don't even have to delete 1PW, just the data. Of course you lose all your stored passwords. So it is best to make sure your master password is memorable.

Re Carbon Copy Cloner. There is an issue where the wrong version of 1PW Mini starts if you have two copies of 1PW on your machine, for instance on an external drive. This is a Yosemite bug (I suspect it applies to many programs, but usually does not matter). With Carbon Copy Cloner, I believe it is easy to exclude the 1PW program from the clone (but still include the data in the clone), which solves the problem.

• PhyberOptik
    PhyberOptik
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. So, in the case of CCC, just clone the data and leave the application on the source drive. If the backup is ever needed to restore the source drive, just reinstall the 1PW application again and the data should be there and readable.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Exactly @PhyberOptik :smile: you've got it spot on. I really do understand why a full backup makes sense but this particular gotcha isn't going to go away any time soon sadly. If you're a Mac App Store then you'd maybe need your Apple ID password to re-download 1Password from the App Store but even that is solvable by a download from our AgileBits Download page. By default our AgileBits Store version of 1Password would import your Mac App Store vault and allow access. Once you had downloaded the proper version you could throw the AgileBits Store version away.

The issue that danco speaks of though only applies if you keep the external permanently connected. If you only connect the drive when you create your clones it doesn't apply and you can safely keep a copy of 1Password on the drive too. All that matters is there isn't a second copy that OS X can see.

If you have any further questions at all please do ask :smile:

• PhyberOptik
    PhyberOptik
    Community Member
    Options

Bueno. I downloaded the AgileBits store version. I don't keep the external WD connected all the time. The only time I connect it is when I want to backup. I need to create a brand new backup anyway because my Air is fairly new and I haven't backed it up yet. So, I can install 1PW on my Air and do what I need to do. Then, I can make a new clone with CCC on the external (which will include 1PW) and all is well. Do I then delete 1PW from the WD but leave the data in place? With subsequent backups, I just make sure that I don't backup the 1PW app that is on my Air unless it has been updated. And if it has, I just delete the updated app on the WD as before. If I have to reinstall 1PW for any reason, can't I use the zip version that I originally purchased?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PhyberOptik,

If you only keep the external drive connected for the actual backup then please ignore what we've been discussing. Feel free to backup the 1Password application too. The issue is only ever possible if the drive is connected so it's more for people that keep their backup drive connected 24/7. If you disconnect it then you have nothing to worry about.

Just to clarify though, you can keep the zip file you've downloaded if you wish but you haven't specifically purchased that zip file. You've purchased a licence that needs to be applied to your installed copy of 1Password. So you don't download a personalised copy of 1Password specifically for you. I just wanted to make sure you understood the difference. You can keep the zip file if you want but you can always download the latest version from our site as long as you have internet access and you definitely want to be running the most current version due to bug fixes etc. 1Password would eventually try to update though so it's one of those six or half a dozen type moments. Basically? do what you feel comfortable with :smile:

• PhyberOptik
    PhyberOptik
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. So as long as I don't change my email address, which is unlikely, you know that I have a legitimate copy and I can register again should I ever need to reinstall. Updates will happen when they happen. Speaking of updates, are they automatic or do I need to manually check periodically?

BTW, this support forum is one of the best I've ever encountered. Questions are quickly answered with clear, patient answers.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PhyberOptik,

Pretty much :smile: The email address you used at the time of purchase is mostly to allow you to request the resending of your licences. If you need to change your email address just pop into the forums and we'll guide you to our ticket system. Of course that's only if you need a copy of your licence resent. When you apply your licence 1Password actually stores a copy of the file as an attachment to a new Software Licence item. So as long as you can access your vault you will always have your licence file. Worst case scenario though you can always request the licences to be resent.

As for updates, 1Password will check automatically. I don't know off-hand how often but it is on a regular basis. Well technically 1Password does need to be running but once you start using 1Password you'll find it's one of those applications that you're always have loaded :smile: It's a pretty standard system, we'll notify you of a new version and ask if you wish to download and install. So like all other aspects of 1Password, updates are under your control.

Just to make sure you understand that last comment. Your vault only exists wherever you explicitly ask for it to be stored. If you don't sync your vault then it only exists on a single Mac. To sync to Dropbox you need to explicitly say that's what you want to do. It's one of the aspects of 1Password that draws many of us - our vault, our data is all entirely under our control. There are aspects to be cautious of as a result. If you don't take efforts to ensure your vault is backed up you could risk losing it. You also want to make sure you never forget your Master Password as nobody can help you regain access - it's the only way to ensure your data is secure as any reset or backdoor is a weakness that can be exploited.

Oh and thank you for the kind words :smile:

This discussion has been closed.