I upgraded my Mozilla add-on plugin finally and now...

Options
webesco
webesco
Community Member

I upgraded my Mozilla add-on plugin finally and now after installing the new version I am missing a huge amount of logins. I sure hope the new addon didn't delete my logins. I do backup to Dropbox, but shouldn't the logins be in the actual program. They are not. I need help ASAP!

1Password Version: 4.4.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @webesco,

Unless you jumped from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 when you upgraded then no, you shouldn't have lost anything. Since the launch of 1Password 4 the extension only been a shell where it calls 1Password mini and interacts with your vault via it. Things were quite different in 1Password 3 where each browser maintained an encrypted database that could get out of sync.

By filling in those sections we can see what you're currently running, could you let us know please what you were running before and if you've removed it completely yet. If you've updated both the extension and the main 1Password application it would be prudent to know both. It might be also good to know if you use Time Machine at all.

Hopefully we can identify what has happened and get you back on track.

• webesco
    webesco
    Community Member
    Options

It was an upgrade from the mozilla 3 (not sure of the exact version) to version 4.3.1 addon. The 1Password app updates automatically so they was consistently upgraded. I completely removed the old "3" version from mozilla so no longer have it. I do use Time Machine. Can you provide instructions to me? Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @webesco,

You're probably going to need to restore your entire Firefox profile. For details of this you're going to be interested in the section Restoring specific files or folders of Apple's Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac KB page. Now the folder in question is ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/ and that contains your entire profile. It's your bookmarks, extensions - everything. If you restore the folder from a time prior to all of this it should return to you the 1Password 3 extension with its Firefox SQLite DB file.

Now here's the bad news. If that extension has items that weren't in 1Password 3 it means they (the main application and browser extension) become disconnected. If it had been Safari or Chrome then we have a way of exporting the contents of the browser extension but this isn't the case with Firefox. What it means is a disconnected 1Password Firefox extension is pretty much the worst case scenario for automated recovery.

With the 1Password 3 extension recovered, your only option is to install the 1Password 4 extension alongside it. 1Password 4 may grumble about the 1Password 3 extension being present and normally it would be right, having both isn't a good idea. You need them to co-exist for a while though.

You will want to visit each Login item in turn in 1Password 3 and log into the site in question. The 1Password 4 extension should ask if you wish to save any login it comes across that doesn't match an existing item in its database, at least if the default preferences are still in place. You will want to go through your entire vault in the 1Password 3 extension until you're confident everything has been transferred over.

This is a one-off thing. I wasn't here at this period of time but I wouldn't be surprised if this precise case was one of the big reasons why we moved to the new approach. The new extension is nothing more than a shall to allow 1Password mini to communicate with the browser meaning this cannot happen going forward. I don't know why our recovery page can't work with Firefox, I just know something blocks it and given the popularity of Firefox it can't be for a lack of trying on our part.

You may very well have a bunch of questions so please do ask.

• webesco
    webesco
    Community Member
    Options

I will see if the restore works from Time Machine. Keep you posted.

• webesco
    webesco
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a link to download the 1Password 3 addon? So I can install it once I restore the data file?

• webesco
    webesco
    Community Member
    Options

So I just downloaded the old 1Password 3 addon and I have the logins I am missing in 4. How do I copy those from 3 to 4? Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @webesco,

That's at least some good news. After all the complete loss of your passwords is possibly the worst thing that can happen. Now on how to migrate them. For this you'll want to look at the latter part of my previous message which I'll quote below.

With the 1Password 3 extension recovered, your only option is to install the 1Password 4 extension alongside it. 1Password 4 may grumble about the 1Password 3 extension being present and normally it would be right, having both isn't a good idea. You need them to co-exist for a while though.

You will want to visit each Login item in turn in 1Password 3 and log into the site in question. The 1Password 4 extension should ask if you wish to save any login it comes across that doesn't match an existing item in its database, at least if the default preferences are still in place. You will want to go through your entire vault in the 1Password 3 extension until you're confident everything has been transferred over.

This is a one-off thing. I wasn't here at this period of time but I wouldn't be surprised if this precise case was one of the big reasons why we moved to the new approach. The new extension is nothing more than a shall to allow 1Password mini to communicate with the browser meaning this cannot happen going forward. I don't know why our recovery page can't work with Firefox, I just know something blocks it and given the popularity of Firefox it can't be for a lack of trying on our part.

As you can see it's very much a manual affair. Log into each site and have 1Password 4 recognise that it doesn't know it. I wish there was an automated solution like their is for the more common situations but the weakness of the old approach is once the extension has lost contact with the main 1Password 3 application it won't reconnect. As I mentioned earlier, if you had been a Safari or Chrome user there would have been a way to export you vault in an unencrypted form that we could then import but for reasons unknown to me this simply will not work in Firefox.

I do apologise that this means going systematically through your vault but you won't have to do this again due to the big shift in how the extension works post version 3.

• webesco
    webesco
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it the continued help with this issue. It had me sweating for a bit.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @webesco,

I'm glad to hear that littlebobbytables was able to help you get things sorted out!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you hit any other snags, we're here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.