CSV import on OS X (from App Store) version doesn't work.

Options
alri
alri
Community Member

I think the buttons (cancel and import) of the import dialogue box are not linked with an action. Is there are bug?
I need to use the esc or enter button instead at the moment. That's maybe also the reason for my import problem.
Can you check this out on another computer?

I tried to import an CSV file but nothing happens after choosing it and pressing enter.
There is no error message so I don't see the reason.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @alri,

I don't have any info on the buttons issue you mention; someone from AgileBits will comment soon.

As far as the CSV import, can you tell me more about the CSV? Where did it come from (how was it generated)?

• alri
    alri
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC,
    The CSV file is an export file from 1Password 5.3. Today the import worked but the buttons still don't work so I needed to press enter.
    But the import went wrong anyway. I exported the CSV file including the names of the columns and so this line was also imported as a login AND the columns were imported in the wrong order.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alri,

We're aware of the bug where the Cancel and Open buttons on the Import window don't respond to mouse clicks. We'll have this resolved soon but for now the esc and enter keys allow you to perform the same function. Obviously this is just a temporary workaround and not meant as a long-term solution.

If you're exporting from 1Password with the intent of importing into 1Password we would strongly, as in very strongly, recommend our 1Password Interchange Format (.1pif). It will record everything in a proper structure (JSON to be precise) that will import correctly. CSV files have their uses but in terms of data from a program such as 1Password they should be considered the absolute last resort.

If you export in the .1pif format you will find the whole process runs smoother and includes attachments as well as being error free.

Let us know if you have any questions arising from any of this :smile:

• kashmoney
    kashmoney
    Community Member
    Options

Even when pressing Enter key to get around the button bug, 1Password doesn't begin the import process for Lastpass CSV file.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @kashmoney ,

Did you select the Lastpass (.csv) type from the File Format area before import?

You might want to try this converter, as you'll get better results with your category conversions.

• kashmoney
    kashmoney
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I definitely selected the Lastpass (.csv) type before import, and it even accepted the Enter command, but it just went back the main 1Password UI screen. The converter worked like a charm, just took a little more time then press a button and be done with it. But no worries all is good now.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @kashmoney ,

When the internal importer returns with no import having occurred, it almost always means there was an error in the data it expected. This can happen when:

• the data format has changed from what 1password is expecting
    • the export file has different line endings
    • the export file has a non-UTF-8 encoding

These situations typically occur when users move the export from one platform to another, or edit the password manager's export file in a text editor and re-save the file.

Happy to hear the converter worked! :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kashmoney,

I'm so glad to hear that MrC's converter got your data nicely imported into 1Password! I hope that things work smoothly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions, we're happy to help. :)

• kashmoney
    kashmoney
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MrC and Megan. Love the product so far. So much cleaner UI than Lastpass and some awesome functionality too. Thanks for the 30% sale!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of MrC and Megan, you're very welcome! I'm really happy to hear you're loving 1Password so far. We want our customers to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it! :)

This discussion has been closed.