How to manually lock 1Password when leaving my computer for a few minutes? [Use the lock shortcut]

cheek
cheek
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

i use the windows version. and uses mozilla firefox .
scenario is this. i logged in. i have to leave my desk for 2 mins restroom break. the only way to secure my 1password is to lock it? why is there no hot keys to do that? why is there no auto lock after a certain period of time. the inactivity function is useless. i wanna continue using my browser but 1password auto close when i never access it. and even the lowest 1 minute inactivity is pointless? i leave my desk i didnt lock 1password. someone only need to moves my mouse within 60 seconds
and when im logged in. anyone can copy and paste my password? how can this be? am i missing some crucial setting here? when i was using lastpass. they always request that i retype my master password before i can edit or copy my password.

1Password Version: 4.5.0573
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: windows
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Just use Win+L to lock he workstation. There's also a setting to have 1Password lock when you do this.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@cheek What @RichardPayne says.

Here is another setting you might appreciate:

File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Security > Lock when web browser is closed

1Password will then lock itself when you close Firefox.

• Hi @cheek,

scenario is this. i logged in. i have to leave my desk for 2 mins restroom break. the only way to secure my 1password is to lock it? why is there no hot keys to do that?

The best secure way to handle this is to lock your computer as a whole, not just 1Password and there is a setting to lock 1Password at the same time as the computer as both Richard and Stefan mentioned. The shortcut for this is Windows key + L.

You'd want to make sure no one could just come up to your computer, start copying files, and leave. While your 1Password files are encrypted at rest, that doesn't mean the other files (not related to 1Password) you have on the computer are encrypted.

LastPass isn't immune to this, they also recommend that you log off to secure your data properly. Here's what they recommend on their site: https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/security-options/

Please note reprompt is not as strong as logging off, we’d recommend utilizing the above logoff options to fully protect your data

Log off or locking your system with 1Password set to lock are the best ways to do this.

and when im logged in. anyone can copy and paste my password?

If you're logged in, 1Password is unlocked, and you're not on the computer, yes anybody can just go to your computer and start doing whatever they want with your computer including 1Password. They can even export your 1Password data file with no encryption and put it on the USB drive, leave without you knowing what happened.

In addition, even if 1Password and/or other managers are locked, there's nothing stopping someone to copy the encrypted files from your drive while the computer is not locked and crack it on their own computers or cloud-based instances. Even though our security is strong enough to resist this type of cracking for several centuries, that's at the current world computation levels.

This discussion has been closed.