Problem Syncing issue

Options

I've had problems with my firewall preventing me from syncing. This time, Avast Internet Security shows that 1Password is allowed, however, they syncing times out. What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• twillard
    twillard
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Version 4.5.0.573
    OS 8.3 (12F69)
    Sync Type: WiFi

• twillard
    twillard
    Community Member
    Options

Sync Problem - Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=60 "The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out"

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @twillard,

1Password also uses Apple's Bonjour service to find each other on the network, you should configure Avast to whitelist Bonjour service.

In addition, make sure both 1Password and bonjour ports are opened, you can find the ports here: https://support.1password.com/configure-windows-firewall-proxy/#configure-firewall-for-wi-fi-sync

• twillard
    twillard
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to sync with our laptop, instead. My question is? Should it matter which PC one syncs with? I would think that if you've been syncing with a laptop, but the desktop's 1Password is different, you could delete it from your desktop PC, redownload the software and overwrite the information with the records from the laptop, currently on the touch? Perhaps it does do that? Please advise. Thanks!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @twillard,

Should it matter which PC one syncs with?

In our case, it does matter. You can only sync with one computer to multiple iOS devices but you can't use multiple computers or switch between them. You would need to disable the sync on the iOS device with the laptop and re-link the iOS device to the desktop.

If you recall, the secret code you enter during the initial Wi-Fi sync is what links both the computer and iOS device.

I would think that if you've been syncing with a laptop, but the desktop's 1Password is different, you could delete it from your desktop PC, redownload the software and overwrite the information with the records from the laptop, currently on the touch?

That would result into data loss, especially if you made some changes on the desktop that didn't go back to the laptop. That's why we stop the sync and not go further.

However, when this occurs, we prompt an error saying the vault is different, not the timeout error.

Is it possible the timeout error is because 1Password on your iOS device cannot find the laptop in the network, rather than the desktop?

The best way to set all three up is to use your own sync tool to sync between the laptop and desktop, while using the laptop to sync to your iOS device. So, if you make changes on the iOS device or the laptop, it'll get synced back to the desktop. Some users are using BT Sync to sync between both computers.

• twillard
    twillard
    Community Member
    Options

Mike,

My problem has occurred again, lo these 3 months. I did a complete restore of my iPhone and it of course deleted everything. When I reinstalled, 1Password, it was empty. My PC, which is new, has every record I want. When I try to sync, via Wi-Fi, I get the following Time Out error:

Error Domain=NSPQsSIXErrorDomain
    Code=60 "The operation couldn't be
    completed. Operation timed out"

What am I doing wrong? Please advise. Thanks!

Edward "Ted" Willard

• LauraR
    edited September 2015
    Options

@twillard - this error suggests that the firewall or anti-virus software is blocking the connection. Can you try the following -

1. Turn WiFi OFF and then ON again on both devices.
    2. Restart both devices.
    3. Reset router by disconnecting it from power for at least 10 seconds.
    4. Disable software firewall (Windows firewall or 3rd party)
      https://support.1password.com/configure-windows-firewall-proxy/
    5. Disable security software.
      https://support.1password.com/extension-troubleshooting/#configure-firewalls-anti-virus-software-network-proxies-browser-extensions-and-virtual-private-networks

If security or firewall software turns out to be the issue, turning it back on and setting an exception for the traffic may work, provided that is an option.

This discussion has been closed.