iPad2 - how long does first sync take?

initaial sync taking forever
Hi folks,

just setting up my iPad2 with 1Password and the initial sync with my MBP is taking forever.

According to the desktop version I have 279 items so can anyone tell approx me how long should this take?

thanks

Comments

• stu wrote:

Hi dubster,

Are you using Wi-Fi syncing or Dropbox? Dropbox syncing syncs, roughly, 1 item a second, so you'd be looking at 279 seconds, so about 5 minutes for the initial sync.

If you're using Wi-Fi sync this can take a little bit longer, the other question is to ask which version of 1Password you're using on the desktop (1Password > About 1Password)

Hope that helps,

Hi Stu

thanks for your reply - I am using wifi to connect to my MBP running 1Password Version 2.12.1 (build 7671) although I will be upgrading to Snow Leopard and the latest 1Password very shortly.

Anyway I left the sync running last night and this morning it is still syncing so something is not going to plan.

Can you suggest a remedy please?

cheers
  • stu wrote:

Dubster,

I think we have the answer. Because 1Password 2 ended it's development cycle before the iPad was released it wasn't updated to fully support Wi-Fi syncing with the iPad, and so the 'Sync Existing' option will effectively just hang. However, if you create a new database on the iPad first you can then go to Settings > Sync > Wi-Fi and sync with 1Password 2 without any issues.

Incidentally, 1Password 3 will work on Leopard or Snow Leopard, so if you already have a valid license (beginning 1PW3) you just need to download the latest version of 1Password 3 from http://agile.ws/downloads and then follow our installation guide, which contains some important information about upgrading from 1Password 2:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/3_0_how_to_install.html

Please make sure you read the section about upgrading to the Agile data format, if you haven't already done this you must do this before upgrading to 1Password 3.

Hope that gets you up and running,

thanks heaps Stu - I upgraded to 1Password 3.5.9 and the iPad2 synced quickly and easily to the MBP - fantastic! Thought I had to wait for Snow Leopard to do that.

one last question - while digging around in iPassword settings on the iPad I saw the Data Backup service - is that stored on the Mac or the iPad and when it mentions no keeping the service running for a longtime is that to prevent hacking via wifi?

cheers
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    dubster wrote:

thanks heaps Stu - I upgraded to 1Password 3.5.9 and the iPad2 synced quickly and easily to the MBP - fantastic! Thought I had to wait for Snow Leopard to do that.

one last question - while digging around in iPassword settings on the iPad I saw the Data Backup service - is that stored on the Mac or the iPad and when it mentions no keeping the service running for a longtime is that to prevent hacking via wifi?

cheers

When you use it, it makes a copy of your data on any pc that connects to the url of the iPhone/iPad on a random port which is generated by 1P.

Yes it would be to limit any random connection from others as when you have the service open anyone can connect to your iPhone/iPad and download your data true it is encrypted but with them having a hard copy (so to speak) they could try various attacks on it. So in short leave it running only as long as needed to backup and or restore your data.
  • Great - that all worked well too!

So now I am all up to date with iPassword running well on MPB, iPhone 3GS and my iPad2.

thanks for all your help.

cheers
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for updating the thread, dubster! On behalf of Stu and Tommy, you are quite welcome! :-)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.