Cannot get the non-iOS version of 1P from Apple/iTunes.

Options
head4heights
head4heights
Community Member

Having been advised by an email to upgrade to the latest version of 1P I did so and now I find that the license has expired. Upon investigation it seems I downloaded and installed the wrong latest version of of 1P for Mac. I cannot download the Mac version from iTunes/Apple/Whatever because it only offers the iOS version. AAAAAArgh!!!

I'm going to have to ask this, but why the heck do you have 2 versions of the same product for OSX?

1Password Version: 5.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Yosemite
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @head4heights,

We've always sold 1Password via our store, which existed long before Apple introduced their Mac App Store. Like many companies, we decided to sell via Apple's Mac App Store too when it came out to offer users more choice. Some people for example prefer to only use Apple's stores while others actually shy away from it. Sadly there is also now a small difference between the two as iCloud Sync (as supplied by the CloudKit framework) is only available to apps or applications obtained via one of Apple's stores. This wasn't always the case. Now it isn't possible to have a single licensing scheme that covers both stores so for a purchase from the Mac App Store you will want to download and update via the OS X App Store application and a purchase from our AgileBits Store you will want to download from our AgileBits Download page and allow the app to update when it requests.

Now something that might apply here is our licences are actually per platform. So a purchase of 1Password for iOS doesn't licence you for 1Password for Mac.

So the first thing to do is determine where you purchased 1Password for Mac. If you purchased it from us on our web site then we can assist you in locating your licence. If you purchased it via Mac App Store though it should simply be available for downloading in the Purchases tab of the OS X App Store application.

Once we've determined where you've purchased it we can then help you with the rest.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Just chiming it mention explicitly that there seems also to be confusion about the fact that there are two different App Stores run by Apple. The iTunes one has apps for iOS devices. The Mac App Store hosts apps for OS X. This confusion is common. Apple could have helped users by not naming these two separate stores for OSes so similarly: App Store (iOS) and Mac App Store (OS X).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is true @hawkmoth :(

• The App Store app on your iOS device allows you to purchase and download iOS apps but that does not automatically confer any licence for any OS X partner application.
    • The App Store application on your Mac allows you to purchase and download OS X applications but that does not automatically confer any licence for any iOS partner app.
    • The Apple Store app on your iOS device allows you to purchase physical items from a real bricks and mortar Apple Store and maybe for delivery too (I haven't tried).
    • The iTunes Store app on your iOS device allows you to purchase and download the likes of music, films, TV programmes etc.
    • The iTunes application on your Mac allows you to purchase and download everything that the iTunes Store app on your iOS device allows you to plus everything that the App Store app on your iOS device allows you to.

and now I could use a coffee after writing that >_< (translation, there has to be a clearer system)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@littlebobbytables

And THAT is the clearest statement of a confusing situation that I have seen.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:tongue:

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I think that statement would be a very useful addition to the 1Password documentation.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I agree with hawkmoth.

• head4heights
    head4heights
    Community Member
    Options

Well deserved coffee bobbytables :)
    It would appear that I have the Mac App Store flavour. So off I went to the App Store, found 1Password. With some trepidation I clicked on 'Buy' as there was no 'Download' button - or indeed any other button. Finally the button that said 'Buy' changed to 'Installing' and finally 'Open'. Eeeeek. Have I just shelled out a further twenty odd quid I wonder? If I have, how can I get it back? I'll come back to that if I get notified of my accidental purchase. Right now it seems to be working without any notices about an expired trial. Thank you guys!

Is it possible (fingers crossed) to move from Apple flavour to Agile Bits flavour and still keep the license dudes happy?

• head4heights
    head4heights
    Community Member
    Options

Update... it appears I have paid for it all over again (Apple order number MGZS532YTG) which begs the question as to why the original AgileBits license expired and I slipped into Trail Mode. The original order number was 10367891, a Mac/Windows bundle. The Applications folder now has 1Password and 1Password5 in it. Joy!!

What's the best way of extricating myself from this??
    Thanks.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options

AgileBits can't do anything about your App Store purchase, you would have to ask for a refund from Apple.

As regards the "trial expired" the commonest reason is that you have a license but have not applied it. 1PW4 had a bug that allowed some people to continue using without a license, but this was squashed in 1PW5.

You may still have an email with your license file (it is a file for 1PW4 and 5, the same file for both, but a license key for 1PW3).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @head4heights,

When you buy an app from the Mac App Store, that's tied to the Apple ID you used to make the purchase. If you saw a "Buy" button for 1Password in the Mac App Store, that means one of two things: either you were signed in with a different Apple ID than the one you used when you previously purchased it, or you never previously purchased it.

We don't receive any customer information from Apple about purchases made from the Mac App Store, so we have no way of knowing if you previously bought 1Password from there. However, I searched our own system for the email address associated with your forum account, and it looks like you bought a 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle License from the AgileBits Store back in January, 2014 (I resent that license info to your email). So my guess is that you never previously purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store.

Sorry for all the confusion about that! But fortunately this should be fairly easy to take care of. The first thing is that, if you really want to use iCloud sync, you'll need to stick with the Mac App Store version of 1Password. But if you don't care about iCloud sync, you can get a refund by clicking the "Report a Problem" link on the receipt you receive from Apple, and request the refund from them (Apple maintains all control over transactions (including refunds) for items sold on their Mac App Store).

Next, you can switch back to the AgileBits Store version by following the steps here.

I hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any questions about that, or if you run into any problems. Thanks!

• head4heights
    head4heights
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks... I'll get a refund from Apple (or try to) and stick AB's version. If I were all OSX/iOS I might stay with iCloud, but I've still got a Windows box.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @head4heights ,

I'm glad that Drew was able to help you get all sorted out!

I hope that 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but as Drew says, we're happy to help if you have any other questions. :)

• head4heights
    head4heights
    Community Member
    Options

Apple were very obliging and a refund is on its way. I'll apply the license properly this time...
    Thanks again all.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @head4heights ,

That's awesome to hear - thanks for keeping us in the loop. :)

This discussion has been closed.