Need help with WiFi Sync

tradernik
tradernik
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi folks

I want to love a Canadian company like 1P, but I have to say that the support I'm getting is terrible. I sent an email 48 hours ago, I just got a response and the support team member just cut and paste a response without actually reading the email so the response is useless. The rep told me to send a diagnostics report which I cannot do because I uninstalled !P on my iPhone and now I am stuck at the first step of reinstalling where I am asked to sync which is exactly what I can't do. I am travelling on business for a week and desperately need this system working on my iPhone as I have changed all my Passwords in an effort to increase my online security (that's the point of 1P, right?). Here's what's up.

I tried to sync my iPhone install of 1P with my desktop because I had added some new passwords. Windows 7, iPhone 5s.

It worked fine the last time I tried. This time, I opened the 1P on the desktop and saw the secret. Opened 1P on iPhone and asked it to sync. Sync progress circle went around and around for 10 minutes. Tried to restart sync. Nothing. Tried to restart whole process by closing desktop app, closing iPhone app and starting again. This time, when I relaunched the iPhone app...THE CIRCLE WAS ALREADY SPINNING!! Before I even asked the app to try to sync!!

So shutting the app down did not allow the failed sync process to stop and restart.

I then uninstalled the iPhone app and reinstalled. Tried sync again. This time I was taken to the right page, asked to enter Secret. I did so, and it said 'Sync Started'.

A few minutes later it says 'Failed. Sync Timed Out'

More Info says

Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain
Code=60 "The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out"

Sync attempted to

NIKKU-PC
[Admin: Removed IP address at tradernik's request]

So then I kept the iPhone app open but closed the WiFI sync window on the desktop app. I then tried to choose Sync Now on the app. Obviously it didn't work. I then opened the WiFi Sync window on the desktop app and tried again. Immediately the NIKKU-PC became available. This means that the iPhone app knows that the correct window is open on the desktop.

I changed my WiFi router last week. Is this the problem? My mobile devices are all functioning perfectly with the new WiFi router, and the iphone is talking to the desktop app, obviously. The Iphone sees the NIKKU-PC, so it's communicating with the desktop.

So now since I uninstalled, I have no 1Password on my iPhone. I need help badly - is there anyone reading this who can try stick with me over the forum system or even better, who can call me?

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• tradernik
    tradernik
    Community Member

Attention mods - I just realized that when I cut and pasted my initial email to support into this forum post, I left my IP address in there. Is this really bad? I can't seem to edit my post. Can a mod take that IP out of there or delete the post and let me repost?

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

Hello tradernik, can you remember when it started failing? Does it somewhat coincides with the arrival of the new Wi-Fi router?

• tradernik
    tradernik
    Community Member

Hi J.M. I hadn't tried updating for about 6 weeks. I got the new router 2 weeks ago and this is the first time I tried to sync since getting the new router. As I say, though, all machines are talking to each other. Maybe their communication is garbled somehow.

• tradernik
    tradernik
    Community Member

In any case I have done what I did not want to do and installed Dropbox on my rig and I managed to get the iPhone app seeded with my passwords using that system.

Extremely disappointing support experience with Agilebits. Another guy responded today since the original guy was out and I wish I had pulled his name in the first place since he seems to actually have read my email before copying and pasting a bunch of 'solutions' into a response and clicking send. This guy's name is Adam and he is at least trying and responding back and forth to me.

If 1P wants to force us to use email as a support system, they desperately need

1. More staff

2. An executive meeting to reconsider the idea that users in this day and age don't need support through the weekend

3. Training for people to help them understand that if a user specifically says 'I can't do xyz', sending an email saying 'why don't you try xyz' is a waste of time and tends to alienate users.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Sync progress circle went around and around for 10 minutes. Tried to restart sync. Nothing.

I'm sorry you are having this problem.

Some piece of security software (probably a firewall) is blocking incoming connections. The iPhone app needs to establish a connection to the PC. If you uncheck block all incoming connections, the PC will prompt you if you want to allow 1Password to accept an incoming connection and if you say yes, it should then start syncing properly.

This time, when I relaunched the iPhone app...THE CIRCLE WAS ALREADY SPINNING!! Before I even asked the app to try to sync!!

When the Wi-Fi Sync window is open and the iPhone app has been paired with it before, then the latter will try and sync automatically. This is the designed behavior.

Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=60 "The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out"

Please see this earlier discussion.

I then opened the WiFi Sync window on the desktop app and tried again. Immediately the NIKKU-PC became available. This means that the iPhone app knows that the correct window is open on the desktop.

This tells us Bonjour isn't blocked but something else is. Bonjour is the "discovery protocol" but it doesn't actually perform the sync.

I changed my WiFi router last week. Is this the problem?

Probably, yes. My advice is to go into your router, and then configure the built-in firewall. Here is the port that need to be open for Wi-Fi Sync: 6262

Please let us know how it worked out. Thanks!

ref: SVI-31126-412

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

This was the solution i had in mind last night but i was so tired i couldn't even write a simple step-by-step guide :p .

• LauraR
    edited May 2015

@tradernik - I see that we’ve sent you a message with some quick instructions for you to get some one-on-one help from our team. Looking forward to helping you further via email.

• tradernik
    tradernik
    Community Member

svondutch, thanks for taking the time to post this detailed reply. I am away from Toronto for the next 8 days. I will try these fixes when I return and if it doesn't work, Adam has set me up with support session so we can get this worked out.

Laura, same message. Thanks for replying and I'll be talking to you guys when I return.

Even though the delay in replying to my initial email and the quality of the first response were (in my view) substandard, I do like the product and I do like the idea that I'm getting some control over my online presence (taking several other steps as well). Adam in particular is taking the time to communicate in an effective and timely manner.

• @tradernik - you are very welcome and I am glad you are being well taken care of.

This discussion has been closed.