No button in Safari extension to update 1Password form information for a website

Options
paul7
paul7
Community Member

It seemed like with the old 1Password I was able to manually force it to update the login information saved in 1Password, ie. if the website changed the form structure, or I have to type in new information, etc. But now, the only way I've found to get to the update form is to first Save new login, and then change the dropdown menu to "Update existing Login". BTW, the shortcut key is command-N. Which of course, opens up a new Safari window instead. Maybe it should be a different keyboard shortcut then a default Safari shortcut, eh???

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @paul7,

the only way I've found to get to the update form is to first Save new login, and then change the dropdown menu to "Update existing Login".

If you have an existing Login item for a site in 1Password, but you manually log into that site using a different password, 1Password should prompt you to save a new Login item, but you can change that to update an existing one. On the other hand, if you have an existing Login item and you change your password from that website's "change password" form, 1Password should detect that and prompt you to update your existing Login item with the new password.

If a website makes a change to its login form that causes your Login item for that site to stop working correctly, you can manually save a new Login for that site.

BTW, the shortcut key is command-N. Which of course, opens up a new Safari window instead. Maybe it should be a different keyboard shortcut then a default Safari shortcut, eh???

Even if we used a different keyboard shortcut for that, it won't work unless you have 1Password mini open at the time. So it doesn't actually matter if it's the same as a shortcut that is already in use by Safari. You can open the 1Password extension/mini from Safari by using the ⌘\ or ⌥⌘\ keyboard shortcut, and then the other 1Password mini shortcuts will work.

One thing to note is that currently, the ⌘N shortcut in 1Password mini only works from the 1Password mini preferences submenu (i.e. the 'gear' icon to the right of the Search field in 1Password mini), and will not work from the main 1Password mini window. However, I believe this has been fixed in a recent beta, so hopefully that will make it into the next stable release (I don't have a timeframe for that, though).

I hope this helps to answer your questions, but if I misunderstood, please let us know. Thanks!

ref: OPM-3048

• paul7
    paul7
    Community Member
    Options

Oi.... this app has gotten much more confusing in the subsequent versions.

if you have an existing Login item and you change your password from that website's "change password" form, 1Password should detect that and prompt you to update your existing Login item with the new password

I just tried changing my password on the Citicards website, and 1Password never prompted me to update my existing Login item. I had to manually change it. And this was even after I created a new login with the new structure.

I would still recommend changing the shortcut key because again, you were just in Safari, so your mind thinks it is in safari, and command-N just doesn't make sense to create a new login because it means creating a New Window. Furthermore, you run into situations where you might accidentally press command-N in Safari instead of 1Password if there was some bug (ie. what happened here). You should just avoid all these confusing situations if you would just change the shortcut key.

BTW, is there any way to get rid of the 1Password Mini and just have the Safari extension running? I find the Mini just more confusing and troublesome than its worth.

Also, I might recommend thinking through the workflow again. I'm computer savvy so I can work through all of this, but there is no way in hell I would recommend this to my parents or most of my friends as they would only get totally confused and frustrated! (I have tried before and failed) There are just waay to many exceptions, nuances, and steps (A complaint I've had with 1Password since version 1 or 2 actually), and it seems to just be getting worse instead of better.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paul7,

I just tried changing my password on the Citicards website, and 1Password never prompted me to update my existing Login item. I had to manually change it. And this was even after I created a new login with the new structure.

You might want to make sure you changed your password with the steps here: How to change a password for a site saved in 1Password

If you aren't prompted to update your Login item after changing the password on any website, you should make sure the option for "Automatically ask to save new Logins" is enabled in the preferences for 1Password.

If it works on some sites but not others, it sounds like the site is designed in such a way that 1Password is unable to detect the changes. Some sites design the change password form very differently than they do with the login form and that messes with our ability to detect something happened. There are millions of web pages programmed by hundreds of thousands of developers using scores of technologies that adhere only loosely to dozens of "standards", so it's tough to accommodate all of them. We're always trying to improve 1Password so it can work better and more consistently across more and more websites, but since there isn't a single standard for password changes, we can't guarantee compatibility with every website.

I would still recommend changing the shortcut key because again, you were just in Safari, so your mind thinks it is in safari, and command-N just doesn't make sense to create a new login because it means creating a New Window.

Thanks for the feedback! I can forward that to our developers, although I can't promise that will be changed. The ⌘N shortcut is pretty standard across Mac apps for creating something new, whether it's opening a new window, creating a new file, or creating a new Login item. And the main 1Password app uses the ⌘N shortcut to create a new item. Using a different keyboard shortcut in mini than in the main app would likely cause even more confusion.

Please keep in mind that the keyboard shortcut will apply to whichever window is currently "on top" (i.e. the one you're currently working in). The ⌘N shortcut won't work in 1Password mini unless the 1Password mini window is currently open. If you're using Safari and 1Password mini is not open, ⌘N will open a new window in Safari. So, if you're not sure what ⌘N will do, just look to see if the 1Password mini window/menu is currently showing on your screen. If it isn't, you're using another app.

BTW, is there any way to get rid of the 1Password Mini and just have the Safari extension running? I find the Mini just more confusing and troublesome than its worth.

If 1Password mini isn't running, the 1Password extension won't work. However, you can turn off the icon for 1Password mini in your Mac's menu bar if you want (mini will still be running, but you won't see that icon). From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, select the General tab, and disable the option for "Show mini app icon in the menu bar".

Also, I might recommend thinking through the workflow again.

Thanks again for the feedback, we appreciate it! We're always listening to what our users would like and looking into ways to improve our user experience.

If you need anything else, please do let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.