What to buy exactly for iOS and Mac use..?

Options
patopman
patopman
Community Member
edited May 2015 in iOS

Hello,

I have been using the trial version and want to buy the full one but need to be able to synch between iOS (iPhone 6), an iPad, 2 MacBook and 1 MacAIR...
Could you please tell me if possible and what to buy exactly..?
Also, I got a little confused on the trial version: I guess the best for my use would be to synch over iCloud ?

Thanks in advnace

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX Yosemite 10.10.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @patopman ,

I'm sorry that you've been a bit confused by the trial version, and I'll do what I can to get this all sorted out for you.

need to be able to synch between iOS (iPhone 6), an iPad, 2 MacBook and 1 MacAIR...

You'll want to purchase a license for 1Password for Mac. 1Password for Mac is available in two places:

The versions are essentially identical, except that iCloud sync is only available for apps sold from the Mac App Store (due to Apple's regulations.)

For your iOS devices, the free version of 1Password will continue to function just fine, although there are some nifty Pro Features available via a one-time in-app purchase (including support for one time passwords, which is pretty awesome.)

I guess the best for my use would be to synch over iCloud ?

Dropbox sync also offers an automatic cloud-based sync. The benefit to Dropbox is that it is currently a fair bit more flexible than iCloud. If you see yourself using the Multiple Vaults feature of 1Password, for example, you'll need to sync secondary vaults via Dropbox (as iCloud sync is only available for the primary vault.)

If you do wish to use iCloud, however, you will need to purchase 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store. There are instructions in our support documents that will help you switch to the Mac App Store version.

In case you weren't aware, 1Password is on sale right now. It's a limited time offer, so if you're thinking about buying, now really is an awesome time to pick up both the Mac version and the Pro features. Of course, if you have any further questions about 1Password before investing in a license, we're happy to help!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You need one iOS version to cover the iPhone and iPad (and any future iDevices). This is free, with an in-app purchase.

And one Mac version, which you can buy either from the Mac App Store or direct from AgileBits.

If you want iCloud sync you MUST buy from the Mac App Store. If you buy direct you can always use Dropbox sync. There are advantages in the direct purchase, as AgileBits can be flexible and allow discounts on upgrades, etc, which is not possible through the App Store. There are also some technical advantaged with Dropbox at present.

There's a sale on at present in both stores, but it may not last much longer.

• patopman
    patopman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for both you answers from witch it seems I will buy directly from your site and I can synch with Dropbox.
    The problem is that now it seems I have different versions (free) from both MacApp and Agile and also have different datas saved on these versions (on the iPhone and on 3 Mac...)
    It seems I would be better off saving one file and restarting with a clean version...What would you recommend in terms of savings, deleting and reinstalling to synch with DropBox ?

Thanks

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @patopman,

I recommend merging the different vaults on each machine so you don't lose any of your data. But I've included both in case you want to start fresh.

Here is how to merge:

First, lets start with one Mac and one iOS device. I am assuming you have not synched through Dropbox yet.

1. On each Mac, create a backup. You can do this in the Preferences under Backups.
    2. On the iOS device, do the same. Go to Settings -> Advanced to create a backup.
    3. On the Mac, setup Sync with Dropbox in Preferences, under Sync.
    4. Once that is set up and has synched at least once, on iOS go to Settings -> Sync and setup Dropbox there. It will ask if you wish to merge the vaults. Tap Yes. (Or Merge)
    5. After a few minutes (or less depending on how many items you have in your vaults.

Then you can add your other Macs into the mix after that is setup.

Here is how to start clean:

On a Mac:

1. On each Mac, create a backup. You can do this in the Preferences under Backups.
    2. Quit 1Password (both the App and the mini in the menu bar).
    3. Then in the Finder on your Mac, choose Go To Folder… from the Go menu. Enter ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ and trash the Data folder.

On an iOS Device:

1. On the iOS device, create a Backup. Go to Settings -> Advanced to create a backup.
    2. Backup your iOS device with iTunes or iCloud.
    3. Then in the 1Password app, go to Settings -> Advanced and choose Erase Data and Settings.

That should take care of it. I prefer the merge method to start fresh, as you can always prune duplicates later and there's less risk of accidentally removing something.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let us know.

• patopman
    patopman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @hayesk,

Thanks a lot for the infos.
    I'll go over them and try to process.
    However, would you recommend I synch via DropBox or iCloud ?
    BR

• Ben
    Options

I personally use Dropbox, but either should work fine if you purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store. iCloud sync requires that the app have been purchased from Apple in the Mac App Store.

If you already have both, I would probably use Dropbox, for the simple reason that it works across all of the platforms we support, so if you ever add or switch platforms you're all set.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.