Make a secondary vault into a primary vault on a second mac with system 10.10.3.

Options
rdpessin
rdpessin
Community Member

I want to make a secondary vault into a primary vault on a second mac with system 10.10.3. How do I do so. It is a shared computer that my husband uses. We both need access for emergencies, but not on a daily password basis. Thanks, Renee

1Password Version: 4.4.2
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @rdpessin,

Thanks for posting your question here. We'll be happy to help.

First, I see that you're using 1Password 4 on OS X Yosemite. Is there any particular reason you haven't updated to 1Password 5? The license file used to register 1Password 5 is the same license used for version 4, so it wouldn't require any new purchase, just a download. It has new shiny features; I think you'll like it! :)

Meanwhile, your question was about primary and secondary vaults. Before I point you in the right direction, I'd like to confirm that I understand where you're starting from and where you want to go, so I don't send you on a wild goose chase!

You have vault A as primary vault on computer A.
    Your husband has vault B as a secondary vault on computer A.
    You want to make vault B the primary vault on computer B.

Does computer B already have 1Password installed, and if so, does it already have any primary or secondary vaults on it?

I hope I have interpreted your question correctly, but feel free to set me straight if I'm off the map! :)

• rdpessin
    rdpessin
    Community Member
    Options

HI and thanks. We downloaded 1Password 5.
    My computer is computer A and my primary vault is vault A, the only one I use except when I need to access his vault b in an an emergency.
    When we installed 1 password on his computer it seemed to make my vault A his primary vault and his vault B a secondary vault (same on his iphone. (He'll only rarely need to access my vault A) Right now it seems to let him log directly into vault B on top on the mini version but not on the main login (odd). On the iphone, he has to login to my vault A and then go to settings and choose the other vault - very clunky. I hope you have better solutions.
    Thanks,
    @rdpessin

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rdpessin,

Thanks for the additional information! So, it sounds like you want to swap the Primary and secondary vaults on your husband's Mac as well as on his iPhone, but keep things the same on your own Mac. Is that correct?

If so, we just need to know one more thing: What sync method are you currently using for each vault? Each vault can have different sync settings, so please double-check the settings in Preferences > Sync for each vault to make sure. If you're using Dropbox sync for each vault, swapping them should be relatively easy. If you're using Wi-Fi sync or some other sync setup, that will complicate things a little, but we'll still be able to explain what you'll need to do.

Please also make sure all your (and your husband's) 1Password data is up-to-date on your own Mac. For example, if your husband has made any changes to his vault from his Mac or iPhone, you should check his vault on your Mac to make sure those changes are there.

Once we know about the sync settings for each vault, we'll be able to give you the steps to get this all sorted out. Thanks in advance!

• rdpessin
    rdpessin
    Community Member
    Options

We are both using Dropbox, but our own Dropboxes

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rdpessin,

Thanks! If you're each using a different Dropbox account, I'm assuming you've shared those two vaults between those two Dropbox accounts, so you each have access to them, and they sync correctly between your Mac, and his Mac and iPhone. If so, you can go ahead and follow these steps to swap the vaults on his Mac and iPhone:

• First, just as a precaution, open 1Password on your husband's Mac and go to File > Backup to make a new backup of all the data.

On your husband's Mac:

• Follow these steps to reset 1Password 5 for Mac.
    • After that, launch 1Password (it should be like running it for the first time).
    • Choose the option for I've used 1Password before.
    • Select the option to sync a vault from Dropbox, and choose the .agilekeychain you want to be the Primary vault on that Mac.
    • When prompted, enter the master password for that vault.
    • Once the Primary vault is set up, navigate to the Dropbox folder on that Mac.
    • Find and double-click on the .agilekeychain you want to be the secondary vault on that Mac.
    • When 1Password prompts you to create a new vault, enter its master password and click Create Vault.

On your husband's iPhone:

• Follow these steps to reset 1Password 5 for iOS.
    • After that, launch 1Password (it should be like running it for the first time).
    • Choose Sync existing vault, then Sync with Dropbox.
    • When asked to choose a vault from Dropbox, choose the .agilekeychain you want to make the Primary vault on the iPhone.
    • Once the Primary vault is set up, go to Settings > Vaults > Sync Additional Vault > Sync with Dropbox.
    • Tap the name of your Dropbox account, then choose the .agilekeychain you want to be the secondary vault on the iPhone.
    • Enter its master password when prompted.

That should get everything set up the way you want. Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions about that. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.