Adding images to secure notes

Options
fourwheelcycle
fourwheelcycle
Community Member

We're off to Europe later this week for business and a vacation. I just scanned our passports, credit and ATM cards, driver's licenses and health insurance cards and put the images in our 1Password Secure Notes.

Before we had 1Password I used to hide a hard copy of the scans in our luggage or put them in a password-protected Word document. 1Password is much more secure than a non-encrypted Word document! Attaching images to Secure Notes is a great feature.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

just scanned our passports, credit and ATM cards, driver's licenses and health insurance cards and put the images in our 1Password Secure Notes.

You can, of course, also add them as attachments to the details you've probably already saved in the relevant categories (Passports, Credit Cards and Driver Licences)—but I agree with you, having them in 1P is very useful.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password is much more secure than a non-encrypted Word document! Attaching images to Secure Notes is a great feature.

@fourwheelcycle: That's great! I'm glad to hear you're putting 1Password though it's paces. :) :+1:

Stephen_C had a good suggestion too. I'll admit to using a bit of both methods myself, just to try to cut down on a little clutter where I can. Either way, it sure beats lugging around dead trees. Cheers! ;)

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member
    Options

Ain't life grand - each person can use 1Password any way they want to!

I understand you guys post these helpful comments to alert users to 1Password's many helpful features. I prefer to scan these documents all at once, before each major trip, and keep the info together in one place, e.g., Secure Notes. That assures I have a recent scan of the correct current version of each item.

Also, I lay all my cards together face down for one scan and face up for a second, so only two scans for everything rather than two scans for each card if I wanted to store them in separate categories. Then of course I'd have to check each Category to make sure I had the current card version before each trip.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fourwheelcycle ,

Thanks so much for sharing your process! It is great to learn about how each user takes advantage of 1Password's features - it's one of my favourite parts about hanging out in the forums here.

I hope you have an awesome adventure in Europe!

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

I am having some trouble. I was under the impression I could photograph or scan in copies of the physical items (credit cards, passports, etc.) and store them as an electronic representation (PNG, JPG, PDF) in 1Password, however, I had the expectation that these electronic versions would indeed be displayed in 1Password. Am I mistaken?

As I own 1Password on iOS, OS X, and Android, please comment if each platform is able to display the electronic versions.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kurtois ,

You can indeed add attachments to items (using 1Password for Mac) and have those items displayed in 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Android.

Could you explain a bit where you're having trouble? We'd be happy to help!

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, @Megan! Thank you so much for the prompt response. Sorry I was a bit unclear on my troubles with 1Password (1P). I must admit, my prior post indicates one cannot display the attachments. However, I think my desire is that the attachments are immediately rendered in the item detail view, if that makes sense. Let me add some detail that I hope will help.

Just this morning, I created a new item of the Software Licenses category. I attached a PNG of a screen capture to the item; a receipt I received via email for the software. When I look at this item within 1P for iOS (latest versions of both), I do see the attachment, but it is not rendered at this point on the display. I have the license detail in view, but I must click on the attachment for it to display. Rather than have to click further, I would prefer to have the PNG rendered in the view with the text fields of the item detail.

If I can clarify this further, I would be happy to do so.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kurtois ,

Thanks so much for clarifying! And now that you mention it, I would love to see this feature myself. Unfortunately, this is not how attachments are handled at this time. At the bottom of your items, you'll see an icon with the file title. Tap on it in iOS to have it open and display in a separate screen.

I've checked in with our developers and asked if there's a reason that we're currently displaying them in this way, and the complication comes in the variety of options available for attachments. If you've got a single jpg or png attachment in an item, displaying that inline would be relatively simple and clean-looking. However, if a user has multiple attachments in multiple formats (possibly including a zipped file), it could get a bit complicated.

In any case, I have mentioned to the team that this could be something neat to consider for the future!

• Kurtois
    Kurtois
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan - Some help file searching may answer this question, but should I be able to insert a photo inline in a secure note? If so, is this functionality only available on a specific 1Password platform(s)?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kurtois ,

At this time, Secure Notes are text-only. We've made some great improvements to this category recently: previously it was one simple text field, but we know allow custom fields and custom sections, which essentially lets you build your own database template for all kinds of information you might want to store in 1Password. But no inline photos yet. I can see how this would be nifty though!

This discussion has been closed.