start over with new data file

rename data file
I have to start fresh with new data file. It says to quit 1Password and then go to preference. Need to restart first. Then I am to rename data file. I can't seem to rename it. Is it "1Password.agilekeychain". If so how do I rename it.
I had an old trial version which doesn't recognize the password I thought it had. I am trying to install a new version I just purchased and downloaded. I deleted the old one first. I must have screwed something up.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, rlewis60. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

For your privacy and security, your master password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the master password. If there were, that would be a security hole that criminals could exploit to steal your information.

If you think you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please see the tips in this guide:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/forgot_password.html

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem. If you cannot remember the password, you will need to restore from a backup or start over. Both of these steps are documented in the guide.

If you've really never stored anything in your 1Password data file then starting over is really easy -- but you'll want to make sure and provide a good "password hint" so you don't forget the master password again.

If all you are are trying to do at this point is rename your 1Password.agilekeychain file in Finder, you can select the file and press the Return key on your keyboard.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Thanks. Not sure of how I did it but I am now in my new 1password. I have 2 imacs and 2 iphones. Wife and mine. I have it on my iphone and my imac but not my wifes yet. Do I have to buy a seperate app for her machine also. Do I use the same password on my iphone app as I use on my mac?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    However it happened, I am glad you are up and running now. That is good news! :-)

1Password is licensed per platform, per user, so if you wife will be using 1Password as well, you will need a Family License which you can obtain as an upgrade in our online store:

https://agilewebsolutions.com/store/upgrade?product_id=100

You will need to enter you existing license key in order to receive the upgrade price.

Unfortunately, iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads cannot run Mac apps. We do, however, sell 1Password for iOS devices:

http://agile.ws/downloads/1Password/iTunes

Since the iTunes App Store is a separate entity controlled by Apple, we can't offer upgrades or bundles or discounts with the iOS apps. We'd love to explore those options, but sadly, we can't do that at this time. We're sorry that we can't be more flexible regarding iOS app sales.

Your Master Password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac/Windows and your 1Password iOS app(s). Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password iOS apps because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!
This discussion has been closed.