How to transfer all Google Chrome passwords with 1Password? [Use ChromePass to export the data]

Options
gwspom
gwspom
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Is there an opportunity to transfer all Google Chrome passwords (password manager) to my 1password Windows app?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Marcel

1Password Version: 4.5.0.573
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @gwspom,

Google Chrome uses the OS X Keychain for passwords, and as such, you can use this converter to convert them.

Edit: Sorry, I see this is in the Windows forum. I'm not sure how to export Chrome passwords in Windows (yet).

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

@gwspom, you can use a tool called ChromePass from Nirsoft here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/chromepass.html

Note: You're exporting data from Chrome with a third party tool that has not been verified by 1Password, we do not know what possible intention they might have but you are exporting clear-text content from Chrome into a CSV file that's also in clear view, meaning not encrypted. Please be very careful with these files and trash any exported files once imported into 1Password. Use a security tool to block any outgoing connection from third party tools you don't trust.

The only gotcha is that the export doesn't include titles, so the titles would be hte URLs instead. You'll want to edit each title manually, either in 1Password or via modifying the export file with a spreadsheet tool.

Exporting Chrome Passwords

1. When you open ChromePass, go to the View Menu > Choose Columns and uncheck: Created Time and Password Strength.
    2. Now, go to the Edit Menu > Select All before going to the File Menu > Save Selected Item to save it as a CSV file.

If you want to add titles manually before importing into 1Password, this is the best time to do so. Edit the CSV file with your spreadsheet tool, start adding the titles first before finishing it with a comma. It should look like this: Google,https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin,https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLoginAuth,Email,Passwd,username@google.com,wordpass

Importing ChromePass export into 1Password:

1. Open 1Password, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Import to select that CSV file.
    2. For the title, select the first URL you see on the dropdown menu unless you edited your CSV to include the titles, then select the title.
    3. Configure the username and password fields and then set the URL field to the second URL you see in the dropdown menu.

You can then import each one selectively or let 1Password import everything at once using the same columns you set.

• gwspom
    gwspom
    Community Member
    Options

Hey MikeT,

thanks a lot for your information about the tool Chromepass. It looks really great and especially easy to use, but I'm a little bit afraid about the not encrypting part of the tool. So thanks for mentioning that.

Maybe somebody else has another hint for solving my problem. Thanks in advance.

Marcel

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gwspom,

but I'm a little bit afraid about the not encrypting part of the tool. So thanks for mentioning that.

You're welcome. Keep in mind, your passwords in Chrome are not encrypted unless you use a master password. That's why ChromePass works without asking for your password to decrypt the data.

In addition, any export tools you use will not be encrypting them either. Exporting means to extract the data and input it in a clear-view text file that you can reuse into another program. That means there isn't a feasible way to transfer your data from Chrome into 1Password without encryption, you have to extract the text from Chrome into a textual format for 1Password to import and convert into an encrypted form.

• gwspom
    gwspom
    Community Member
    Options

Hey MikeT,

thanks for explaining the context. Thank god I created a master password in Google Chrome in the beginning. So correct me if I'm wrong, but the only "secure" way of getting my logins from Google Chrome would be to open the Google Chrome password manager, logging in with my master password and writing down all logings by hand, right?

Of course this would mean a lot of effort to me, since there are about 100 logins, but at least this kind of way would be the secure.

• So correct me if I'm wrong, but the only "secure" way of getting my logins from Google Chrome would be to open the Google Chrome password manager, logging in with my master password and writing down all logings by hand, right?

Yes, the most secure way is to write them down and then add them to 1Password. However, I believe that my colleague Mike didn't mean to discourage you from using an export tool.

Whenever you try to move data that was encrypted by one application to another application that will store your data in encrypted form, the transfer of your data will most likely happen in unencrypted form because the chance that both apps share the same encryption is very small.

Even when you export data from 1Password for use in an application not made by us, 1Password will store your data unencrypted so that the other application is able to read it.

You can use ChromePass but you should take the precautions that Mike listed:

Note: You're exporting data from Chrome with a third party tool that has not been verified by 1Password, we do not know what possible intention they might have but you are exporting clear-text content from Chrome into a CSV file that's also in clear view, meaning not encrypted. Please be very careful with these files and trash any exported files once imported into 1Password. Use a security tool to block any outgoing connection from third party tools you don't trust.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the only "secure" way of getting my logins from Google Chrome would be to open the Google Chrome password manager, logging in with my master password and writing down all logings by hand, right?

What we would recommend is to use 1Password along with Chrome for a few weeks. The idea behind is that you let 1Password auto-save the Logins you use in Chrome. Basically like this:

1. Open Chrome with 1Password extension installed
    2. Log into one of your sites, 1Password should prompt to auto-save the data and you can save it into 1Password. If auto-save didn't work, you can switch to the manual save process here. Once saved, you can then remove the login from Chrome.
    3. After a week or two, most of your logins from Chrome should be in 1Password. You can then manually transfer the rest into 1Password without exporting and then disable Chrome's password manager.
This discussion has been closed.