iPad app fails to update

Options
moosemanj
moosemanj
Community Member

IOS 8.3, app gets to 75% updating and freezes. I have tried to delete the app, it still shows on iPad. When I go to App Store it shows it is in cloud, when I try to re download the app it gets to 75% and stops. I have deleted and then shut off iPad, get same result.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I would suspect the trouble is on Apple's end. Wait a bit and retry. Let us know if this persists, though.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @moosemanj,

While Hawkmoth is likely on the right track, it would also be worth making sure you haven't enabled restrictions on your iPad:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

Thanks!

Ben

• moosemanj
    moosemanj
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried on an off for several weeks. Restrictions are off.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not an AgileBits employee, but I am reasonably sure you will need to resolve this with Apple. They are in total control of software distributions from their sites, and the iOS App Store is one of those. Although the this is obviously no consolation to you, downloads are routine for almost all users.

One more odd thought: Do you reset your iOS device after you delete the app, but before you download a new copy?

• kabing
    kabing
    Community Member
    Options

I appear to be having the same (or at least a similar) problem. Yesterday I noticed that my 1Password icon on my iPad (iOS 8.3) was dimmed and that it said "waiting" below it. Oddly enough, it was not listed among recent updates (either completed or pending) in the App Store app. Initially, tapping on the 1Password icon didn't do anything. When I checked my "purchased" list in the App Store, 1Password showed up as an app I could download (cloud and arrow "button). Touching the download button resulted in a brief flash of the download circle, and then it reverted immediately to the download button.

I made several attempts to delete the app from my iPad. (By holding down on the app until it jiggled, then tapping the red x) Each time I was asked if I really wanted to delete app "" from my iPad, but clicking yes did not delete it. However, after these attempts I could successfully START to download 1Password's update by choosing to "download" it from the Purchased list in the app store. But it hangs up when about 2/3 (based on icon "pie chart" indicator) and 3/4 (based on download circle in app store) of the way through.

It still doesn't show up as an update in the app store app. I do remember that last night I had the app store app open, showing updates, when one update just disappeared from the list. I was focused on a different app in the list at the time, so I didn't know which app update had disappeared, just that one did and everything else reshuffled. Maybe that was 1Password?

I use the US App Store, if it matters. And Restrictions are (and have been) off.

• Ben
    Options

I'm sorry to hear of the continued trouble moosemanj, and also of your trouble, @kabing.

kabing: Have you tried restarting iOS? I've occasionally had various apps hang while installing, and in many cases restarting the device will resolve the issue:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

@moosemanj: Have you tried installing any other apps since this issue began? If not, could you please try downloading a free app?

• moosemanj
    moosemanj
    Community Member
    Options

I have installed several new apps and have done numerous updates with no issues.

• moosemanj
    moosemanj
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

The exact symptoms that kabing describes is exactly the way mine is acting.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2015
    Options

Please try this for me: Flip open Control Center and tap to enable AirPlane mode, wait a few minutes, then disable Airplane mode.

If that does not work, unfortunately we've tried all of the troubleshooting steps that we have available to us on this end. The installation process for apps is handled by iOS and the App Store, rather than by the individual apps themselves (i.e. There is no code in our app for installing the app).

If the problem persists I would recommend contacting Apple at this point.

• kabing
    kabing
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding, hawkmoth and bwoodruff. @bwoodruff, yes I have restarted the iPad several times. I have been able to install other updates successfully since this started. Last night a batch of new updates for other apps came in and during that process, the download for 1 Password got further along than ever. The "download circle" that displays in the App Store app will show a complete download, but the pie-chart on the icon itself still sticks at 2/3. (Once I think it got closer, but then the iPad crashed). I tried the Airplane Mode approach you suggested, and that has not helped. I will try it again later tonight, keeping it on airplane mode longer.

I understand that the installation is Apple's thing, but I find it odd that I can update other apps without difficulties. Unfortunately I'm 2 hours from the nearest Apple Store, so it will be a while before I can get help from Apple.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

@kabing - Apple actually has free online support for iTunes troubles. Give that a try. I think this link is where you start for that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Unfortunately since App Store downloads are from Apple's servers, there really isn't anything we can do on our end to fix this. In fact, you wouldn't be able to install the app from an AgileBits server even if we self-hosted, as iOS will only install from the App Store.

Often when I have similar issues with apps, these steps will resolve it (barring some intractable problem on the server side):
    1. Restart iOS Wi-Fi
    2. Restart iOS device
    3. Restart router

Ultimately one or more of these will help, depending on where the problem lies. But since 1Password cannot update itself and the updates don't come from AgileBits directly, it may be necessary to contact Apple for assistance if the problem persists.

This discussion has been closed.