1Password still interferes with Surface Pens [Workaround is to disable the scaling feature on 1PW]

Terry Tigner
Terry Tigner
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The problem many of us Surface Pro (pen) users were having a year ago has returned. See the thread here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/18371/windows-8-1-on-surface-pro/p2

This is true for both versions 4.5.0.573 and ...574. For me this only happens on the Surface Pro 3 and not the Surface 3.

The problem is that the Pen Input panel of the Touch Keyboard in Win 8.1 is rendered useless by 1Password. 1Password interrupts the Keyboard's reading of the pen strokes so that strokes are converted into mis-strokes and garbage at the time of input. This renders the Pen Input on the Touch Keyboard completely unusable - and it is caused by 1Password. Kill the 1Password background process and the problem goes away.

The prior work around (prior to 1Password 4) was posted by Marino Carlos in May 2014. At that time the problem was manifested on the Surface Pro 2 with 1Password version prior to version 4. It is amazing that the prior work around from Marino still works on the new version today. The work around is this:

Under compatibility tab for the Agent, just check the option for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".

• Open Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password
  • Right click on "Agile1pAgent" and click Properties
  • Click the Compatibility tab, and there, check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and Click "Apply" and "OK"
  • Reboot

I'm not sure why this problem has returned. Very interesting that the work around is associated with screen scaling - AND - that the problem exists on the higher resolution screen of the Surface Pro 3 and not on the lower resolution screen of the Surface 3.

Many of us had thought that 1Password 4 itself had resolved it. But as I just set up a new Surface Pro 3 last night the problem came screaming back here in May of 2015 with all new software and hardware.

Agilebits - Please let me know if I'm missing something or doing something wrong. IN the meantime I'll be using the work around.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 4.5.0.573
Extension Version: -
OS Version: Win 8.1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Nothing has happened to this problem because we do not know what causes it. The workaround still applies. I'm sorry I do not have a better answer for you.

• Hi @Terry Tigner,

Is it possible because you were setting it up on a brand new Surface Pro, it looked as if it came back but it really didn't as you haven't applied the workaround yet?

We never were able to fix this issue on Surface tablets, the workaround has always been the same; to disable the scaling feature on 1Password files: https://support.1password.com/surface-pro-handwriting-keyboard/

• Terry Tigner
    Terry Tigner
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies. Mike - you're right. This was a fresh install so this workaround had not ever been applied. I'm very glad to have more clarity on the status of this issue and the standard link on the provided work around - so thank you!

Follow up question: when one accepts periodic software updates to 1Password with this workaround in place - does the update disrupt the setting on scaling option? Or does the setting stay as is so that the updates can be applied with no impact to this setting?

Thanks again.

• MikeT
    edited May 2015

Hi @Terry Tigner,

You're welcome.

when one accepts periodic software updates to 1Password with this workaround in place - does the update disrupt the setting on scaling option? Or does the setting stay as is so that the updates can be applied with no impact to this setting?

It is persistent, it should not change through any of our updates. It is Windows that keeps a database on which files not to scale, which is determined by the paths to files you check the box on, not the files itself. Here's what it looks like in the registry:

However, if you reinstall 1Password, then you'll need to re-apply the workaround. When you uninstall the programs, the path is removed from Windows's database. It is possible that Windows may sometime undo the setting through its updates or if you use a tool to optimize the registry.

This discussion has been closed.