1Password uses wrong 1Password mini.app on backup drive after update

rggoode
rggoode
Community Member

After the last few updates, after I relaunch the application, I get a message stating that 1Password is attempting to use a COPY of the 1Password mini.app that's located on my backup drive. This didn't happen in the past.

The backup drive is a clone of the startup drive, so the mini app is always going to be copied there. Why would this happen, when the mini app is inside the original 1Password package in my applications folder?

1Password Version: 5.3.2 (532001)
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

This is a known problem with OS X Yosemite, which has a tendency to wander off and launch the wrong version of 1P mini if it finds some other copy of 1P on your disk or on any disk permanently attached to your Mac. The solution is either:

1. not to have the backup disk permanently attached (which is probably not what you want); or
    2. not to backup the 1P app file (which can always be re-downloaded, of course) and to ensure there are no copies of that app file on your backup disk.

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Depending on how you clone, it may be possible to have the backup drive unmounted and the clone program just mounting the drive while it clones.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rggoode,

As Stephen mentioned, this is due to a strange issue in Yosemite which causes it to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini when it finds multiple copies of the 1Password app. In this case, it's finding the other copy on your backup drive.

If you want to keep your backup drive connected/mounted at all times, then you can avoid this problem by deleting any backup copies of the 1Password app from your backup drive, and (if possible) exclude the 1Password app from future backups. Your 1Password data will still be backed up, and you can re-download the app later if necessary.

Hopefully this helps, but we're here for you if you have more questions about that. :)

This discussion has been closed.