1Password Mini Sorting

travisres
travisres
Community Member

Hello.
Is there any way to define the sorting methods used by 1Password Mini / the browser extension?
For many sites, I have several log ins. American express for instance, I manage 13 different cards, so thats 13 log ins. The order in which the logins appear in the browser extension seems to vary from visit to visit. I would expect to be alphabetical, or date creation or something, but its not always the same. I can goto the site and pick a log in that is third in the list. Then go back later that day and that log in is now 5th in the list. Favoriting a login does not make it move to the top of the list.
Am I missing something really basic?
Thank you,

1Password Version: 5.3.2 (532001)
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @travisres,

Do all of those Login items have the exact same website address, or are they slightly different? My guess is that they have slightly different URLs, and 1Password mini is pulling the closest match to the one you're currently viewing to the top of the list.

When you open a web site and then invoke 1Password mini, if there are multiple Logins for that site, it sorts by the URL first, and then alphabetically. If you edit those Login items in 1Password to make sure the URLs are exactly the same, then 1Password mini should list them alphabetically.

Does that help to explain what's happening? Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• travisres
    travisres
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG ,
    Thank you very much. This seems to be exactly it! Changing them all to match did indeed fix the problem. If I could suggest... I'm sure there was heavy debate about this at some point which is why the decision was made, but it seems that sorting by the url first seems a bit backwards. The URL is not present anywhere in the Mini browser and in theory doesn't actually matter as long as the correct log-ins are populated for that site. Also, since web sites change their log in structure / authentication servers every once in a while, it would be useful to not have to go change this again after a password is updated. And my last request - regardless of URL, shouldn't a favorite take priority in the sort? I feel like thats kind of the point.

Thanks,

-Ben

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @travisres,

I'm glad that helped! :)

The URL is not present anywhere in the Mini browser

The URL can be seen in the details of each Login item shown in 1Password mini, but I'm guessing you mean it isn't displayed next to the title of each suggested Login?

and in theory doesn't actually matter as long as the correct log-ins are populated for that site.

Actually, the URL is what matters the most because that's how 1Password knows which Login items to suggest. In other words, 1Password mini checks the current URL in the web browser and tries to find a match in your Login items. It will try to list the closest match first. All matching items that have the same URL should be listed in alphabetical order (by the Title of the items).

Also, since web sites change their log in structure / authentication servers every once in a while, it would be useful to not have to go change this again after a password is updated.

If you change your password on a website and update the corresponding Login item with the new password, that shouldn't change the URL of that Login item. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean here?

regardless of URL, shouldn't a favorite take priority in the sort?

Yes, an item marked as a Favorite should appear at the top of the list of suggested Login items for a site. Is that not what you're seeing? If your Login items for that site have the same URL, and one of those Logins is marked as a Favorite, it should be the first suggestion.

I may have misunderstood, so if things do not seem to be working as I've described, please let us know some more details about what you're seeing on your end. If possible, it will be helpful if you can let us know the URL(s) for those Login items. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.